PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sitting on the deck, my son and his girlfriend passed by and just gushed over how good my pipe smelled.

I was down at the very bottom of the sixth bowl and all I could taste was Lee’s oil cured briar. The pipe was hot as a pistol, sweating on the bottom.

I reached for a handy chunk of beeswax and applied it all over the hot pipe, and buffed with a soft towel.

41A89A3D-FA7D-4C21-B42E-BF5CAC697617.jpeg9F5D5D9C-A157-4843-8CB6-9A733698E540.jpegBCE0B533-06A4-4180-94AB-5210D5388221.jpegC2850660-C830-4AD1-BC38-BEA2C8B2ABA4.jpegI have $25 invested in this pipe.

When I’m firmly planted in Plum Grove Cemetery my son ought to surely get that back, plus postage.

It’s much better today than when it was new, yesterday.

But not as good as it will be tomorrow.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Few if any of my pipes have varnish or shellac, but I have noticed that pipes that start out unfinished develop color over time without any oil, polish, or wax, and just regular buffing with a rag or jeweler's cloth. I do think that there is a definite quality in a pipe with less finish. I'm not sure it breathes, but they seem to insulate especially well and have a special smooth smoking quality. I always suspect that simpler is often better. Efforts at perfection often overdo and give a slightly less good result. No finish, no problem.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Looking closer, it might be a saddle steamed apple.

My test for an apple vs billiards when it’s close is:

Apples can be sat down and not tip over (very much)

A billiard won’t stay upright.
It IS (not "might be") a saddle-stemmed apple

An apple has a rounded-shaped bowl whereas a billiard has a bowl that is cylindrical.

There are billiards that have slightly rounded sides that may be termed apple-billiards

The ability to "sit" does NOT make a pipe an apple.

"A billiard won't stay upright"
That's a complete fallacy.
There are billiards that ARE sitters. I have a few of them

Shape Charts are readily available if you are still confused

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It IS (not "might be") a saddle-stemmed apple

An apple has a rounded-shaped bowl whereas a billiard has a bowl that is cylindrical.

There are billiards that have slightly rounded sides that may be termed apple-billiards

The ability to "sit" does NOT make a pipe an apple.

"A billiard won't stay upright"
That's a complete fallacy.
There are billiards that ARE sitters. I have a few of them

Shape Charts are readily available if you are still confused
A billiard won’t sit unless it’s got a flat bottom.

This Pot rights itself on a table just like an Apple, even with a round bottom.

Speaking of different shapes, of examples of Lee pipes we can buy today, as far as I know most were custom orders, but Lee’s catalogs offer Three Star special deals where there were three pipes for $20, seven pipes for $40, and the like.

Did the worker look at the hunk of briar and say, that might make a nice apple or billiard or bulldog, or did he fill individual orders, or maybe he made so many of one style and so many of another.

But if every Lee smoked as good as this Pot, nobody would smoke another brand.

They are all good, just very few this good.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
When I was a little boy a man named Harry Hosterman visited my father at his milk barn quite often. Harry smoked little Dr Grabow pipes with Prince Albert, and his pipes although cheap, were beautiful to look at.

Harry took steel wool and removed the varnish of every pipe he owned. He then used olive oil occasionally to shine them.

I recently substituted grapeseed oil for olive oil, but I follow Harry’s example today, I first learned six decades ago.

Harry Hosterman claimed removing varnish let the briar breathe, and they smoked better. I can’t prove that, but I also believe that’s true. It surely doesn’t hurt the smoking qualities.

But the difference in beauty of a varnished pipe and an oil finished pipe is stark, obvious, and undeniable. The plain, oil finished pipe is much more something you’ll be proud to own and smoke.

Most Lee pipes were shipped unvarnished. The Lee Three Star Pot I got in yesterday had a thin dark coat of varnish.

View attachment 155393View attachment 155394View attachment 155395The varnish was so thin, I removed it all with hot water and steel wool in a minute or so. It improved the looks of it.
View attachment 155396View attachment 155397
But when I got home and could apply grapeseed oil, look at what just one application does.

View attachment 155398View attachment 155399View attachment 155401View attachment 155403I can apply beeswax (or any other wax) to this pipe now and make it shine, or I can just leave it alone. The grapeseed oil occasionally will need replenished.

A little grapeseed oil goes a long ways. Here’s four other Lees I shined up with the same paper towel and a few drops of grapeseed oil after I applied it to my new Pot.

View attachment 155405I doubt Harry ever heard of a Star Grade Lee.

But all his Dr Grabows, were this beautiful, using olive oil.

I prefer grapeseed oil, because it’s thinner and seems to not darken the pipes as much.
Very interesting....thanks for sharing.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I tend to agree with those who say that briar doesn't breath.If it did,the pipe would have sticky film on it all the time.Varnish removal may increase heat dissipation,and reveal the true grain, and not much else.I've done it with all my Grabows.

Reactions: edger

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Breathes" is not a very meaningful term in that wood doesn't have lungs. But briar, like all wood, is constantly exchanging moisture with the ambient air around it. In a dry climate, briar is more dry inside than in a wet climate. This is why cabinet doors are made with panels, it's why things in your house shift and stick at certain times of the year. It's why table tops are built with sliding hardware to acommodate the wood's seasonal movement. You can stabilize wood by vacuum pressing cyanoacrylate into it. But that's not done on tables, nor to pipes.

OIl cured briar would likely exchange less moisture, or rather, exchange it more slowly, than regular briar, but briar absorbs and releases moisture very slowly in any case. This is why a pipe is not 1/2 pound heavier after smoking.

I've posted this picture before: You can see the moisture "boiling" out of a block as you drill it. Happens with every pipe, every block. That moisture will be re-absorbed (from ambient humidity in the air) over time.

Just before drilling:

TBaoiX1.jpg

YtqvKnb.jpg

You can see a ring of "dark" just around the chamber as it is being cut. That's water coming out.

This same thing happens every time you smoke. You heat the pipe up, and ambient moisture in the wood tries to escape. If you have a thick vapor-proof finish, it might blister, and we see that on certain pipes from time to time. If you have a thin finish that is not very vapor-proof, like shellac or a little oil (tung oil is more vapor proof), you'll see nothing.

Does it affect how a pipe smokes? Nah. No more than staining it black vs brown.

Most smokers have no idea how most of the pipes they own were finished. If the finish doesn't fail, they assume it's one kind of finish or another, some "approved" finish. They'd be shocked to learn it's lacquer, shellac, tung oil, acrylic, or even polyurethane.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
"Breathes" is not a very meaningful term in that wood doesn't have lungs. But briar, like all wood, is constantly exchanging moisture with the ambient air around it. In a dry climate, briar is more dry inside than in a wet climate. This is why cabinet doors are made with panels, it's why things in your house shift and stick at certain times of the year. It's why table tops are built with sliding hardware to acommodate the wood's seasonal movement. You can stabilize wood by vacuum pressing cyanoacrylate into it. But that's not done on tables, nor to pipes.

OIl cured briar would likely exchange less moisture, or rather, exchange it more slowly, than regular briar, but briar absorbs and releases moisture very slowly in any case. This is why a pipe is not 1/2 pound heavier after smoking.

I've posted this picture before: You can see the moisture "boiling" out of a block as you drill it. Happens with every pipe, every block. That moisture will be re-absorbed (from ambient humidity in the air) over time.

Just before drilling:

TBaoiX1.jpg

YtqvKnb.jpg

You can see a ring of "dark" just around the chamber as it is being cut. That's water coming out.

This same thing happens every time you smoke. You heat the pipe up, and ambient moisture in the wood tries to escape. If you have a thick vapor-proof finish, it might blister, and we see that on certain pipes from time to time. If you have a thin finish that is not very vapor-proof, like shellac or a little oil (tung oil is more vapor proof), you'll see nothing.

Does it affect how a pipe smokes? Nah. No more than staining it black vs brown.

Most smokers have no idea how most of the pipes they own were finished. If the finish doesn't fail, they assume it's one kind of finish or another, some "approved" finish. They'd be shocked to learn it's lacquer, shellac, tung oil, acrylic, or even polyurethane.
Thank you, that was extremely helpful.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OldVark

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Harry took steel wool and removed the varnish of every pipe he owned. He then used olive oil occasionally to shine them.

I recently substituted grapeseed oil for olive oil, but I follow Harry’s example today, I first learned six decades ago.​

These are the words you wrote. Every pipe, varnished removed.😀😂

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: yohanan

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
These are the words you wrote. Every pipe, varnished removed.

Yes, Wilda Mae and Nona Fern bought Harry a Dr Grabow over at Stockton probably once a year, always a small one.

Grabows came varnished, and Harry took it off.

If Wilda Mae would have known about grapeseed oil Harry would have used that instead of her olive oil.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
20160407_141639.jpg
My Rossi. I want to say it was 2016 When I bought it.

This was my Rossi 25-30? bowls in.
20170520_172559.jpg

Acetone and a cloth.
IMG_20190602_102520.jpg
IMG_20190602_103850.jpg
And Obligatory cake pictures
IMG_20190602_102615.jpg

But I think in this instance, It made my pipe so much more beautiful, and smoke so much cooler. The finish was literally bubbling off the rim of the pipe.
And what it looks like today.
PXL_20231211_055633205.jpg
PXL_20231211_055648208.jpg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
View attachment 269022
My Rossi. I want to say it was 2016 When I bought it.

This was my Rossi 25-30? bowls in.
View attachment 269024

Acetone and a cloth.
View attachment 269025
View attachment 269026
And Obligatory cake pictures
View attachment 269027

But I think in this instance, It made my pipe so much more beautiful, and smoke so much cooler. The finish was literally bubbling off the rim of the pipe.
And what it looks like today.
View attachment 269028
View attachment 269029
This is my only beef with Rossi. I wish they just used carnauba instead of that crap varnish. Besides the finish, great pipes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A tip for lovers of pipes that glow instead of shine like a cheap suit.

Beeswax has a lower melting point than carnauba wax.

The briar soaks the beeswax in just under the pores.

This protects to some degree the pipe getting discolored from oils from your hands, but it traps the oils or tannins or whatever leeches out from a hot pipe when smoked.

It helps color the pipe this shade of reddish brown.

IMG_6007.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123