PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Always yam. Bake them at 450° F. Mash with butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, top it with mini marshmallows, and back in the oven until marshmallows brown.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If the pies are properly made they taste very different but I can see how someone could confuse the two if they are used to mass produced from a grocery store bakery as I suspect they use the same filling with mildly different flavoring. As a diabetic I have rarely met a pie I couldn't eat but ... the pecan pie is actually dangerous for me as its loaded with sugar and my nephew makes the best homemade pecan pies. His grandmother taught him how to make from scratch ! Those I only "taste" to be polite ! ;):ROFLMAO::coffee: My preference is Bumbleberry Pie sometimes known as Fruits of the Forest which is a combo of blackberry, raspberry, strawbery, rhubarb, etc.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looks like I'm odd man out. I love a homemade Pumpkin pie (no canned filling) but a great Sweet Potato pie is even better. My wife rarely makes Sweet Potato pies, I'm not sure why.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just realized that there's a "Food and Drink" sub-forum that this probably should have gone into rather than "General Discussion".

Woops, maybe an admin/mod can move it if they think it fitting to do so... @ssjones @jpmcwjr or... well I don't remember who else is one.
Done.

In the left hand column you can see who is online. Good to choose a mod who's currently active.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Pumpkin, sweet potato, pecan, rhubarb, apple, cherry, mixed fruit pies, makes no difference to me, I'll eat all of them. I prefer my pumpkin pie and sweet potato pies with whipped cream on top.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's that time of year, no matter how much everyone else wants it to be Christmas ahead of Halloween and Thanksgiving (for those in the USA).

Anyway, smoking some ABF and was thinking about just how different cocoa and chocolate taste to me and it reminded me of a conversation I had with my wife a few years ago.

See, her ex-husband, like myself, recognizes that pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie taste nothing alike, though his preference was for the clearly inferior sweet potato whereas mine is for the pumpkin. To my wife, both pies taste the same.

So where do you fall—do they taste the same to you, or do they taste different and you have a preference for one over the other?
both different and yet equally worthy of living in a trash can. I loathe both. But then again not really all that into pies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
90% of all pumpkin pies have no pumpkin in them. They are made of acorn squashes. Check the ingredients on fillings. It is hard to commercially make anything from real pumpkin without it having that rotted aroma.

Sweet potatoes, I love. The pies… not so much.

But, I’ll take a slice of that pecan pie, pretty please.
I agree and disagree at the same time.
Libby's Canned Pumpkin uses 100% Dickinson Pumpkin which is a proprietary strain of pumpkin. The catch is that it is also called Dickinson Squash.

If you check the Libby's website it claims to use 100% pumpkin but on the other hand, any hard-skinned squash can be a called a pumpkin. From what I remember reading, other brands of can pumpkin uses purees of different squash, including winter squash, like butternut, Hubbard, Boston Marrow, and Golden Delicious.

If you wonder why squash can be called pumpkin, blame the FDA since it claims there is no botanical difference between the two.

I like my pumpkin squash pies.

I like baked sweet potatoes but not in a pie form

If I have a choice, it would be a good pecan pie though.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
It's that time of year, no matter how much everyone else wants it to be Christmas ahead of Halloween and Thanksgiving (for those in the USA).

Anyway, smoking some ABF and was thinking about just how different cocoa and chocolate taste to me and it reminded me of a conversation I had with my wife a few years ago.

See, her ex-husband, like myself, recognizes that pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie taste nothing alike, though his preference was for the clearly inferior sweet potato whereas mine is for the pumpkin. To my wife, both pies taste the same.

So where do you fall—do they taste the same to you, or do they taste different and you have a preference for one over the other?
If the wife thinks they both tasted the same, why the x husband ?

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
Northumberland county, pa
Hate pumpkin anything but love the smell, love sweet potatoes. Never had sweet potatoe pie, just love them baked with nothing on them,no butter, brown sugar and diffentily no marshmallows

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Always been a pumpkin guy, with at least half a tub of Cool Whip.
I had sweet potato pie once - at a homeless shelter I was volunteering in.
I assumed it was pumpkin until I was mostly finished with it.
Kinda irked me that I was misled.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Always been a pumpkin guy, with at least half a tub of Cool Whip.
I had sweet potato pie once - at a homeless shelter I was volunteering in.
I assumed it was pumpkin until I was mostly finished with it.
Kinda irked me that I was misled.
Never mess with or mislead regarding food. Allergies, dietary issues, and trust are no joke.

Sorry your experience left a bad taste in your mouth.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Prefer pumpkin over sweet potato but as the years have gone by I have really lost my love of pumpkin pie and we don't even make it at Thanksgiving any more - have moved to pecan as the Thanksgiving pie of choice and the wife bakes an apple pie for those who want something else (of course, I have both).

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas

I find them to be unique to one another and have a preference towards sweet potato pie.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I imagine that since I have gotten along for 76 years with pumpkin as an all-time favorite that it's a rather moot point for me. I did try a sweet potato pie by accident just the other day at a bakery and it was okay,