PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Guess I'm the only one that puts mayonnaise on their hotdogs? Mayo, mustard, ketchup, and crushed sour cream and onion chips.

A lot of fast puffing can heat up the pipe regardless of how loose or tight the pack is. Pulling hard can have the same effect. Usually pulling too hard is caused by being over packed. If you have to pull hard, you introduce a lot of air, and more air = more heat.

Reactions: john3music

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Guess I'm the only one that puts mayonnaise on their hotdogs? Mayo, mustard, ketchup, and crushed sour cream and onion chips.

A lot of fast puffing can heat up the pipe regardless of how loose or tight the pack is. Pulling hard can have the same effect. Usually pulling too hard is caused by being over packed. If you have to pull hard, you introduce a lot of air, and more air = more heat.
giphy (1).gif

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Smoke like you're hiding in a wardrobe from a serial killer and he's right there and might hear you, that's how hard you should be drawing on your pipe.
the trick for me came from a really old book. Sip the tobacco like it's the last bottle of some marvelous booze. If I still am going too hard I think of drawing as a little encouragement to help the smoke move, just a small assist.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

nope I tried that after reading that some country does that. And I don't remember which one but it turns out they were on to something.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
The tobacco will have more flavor if you sip. But, it's all about how you enjoy it. If you're able to freight train it with out tongue bite and it makes you happy then do it your way. I did that at the beginning fearing it would go out and being a primary cigarette smoker. Over time I naturally slowed down. I still smoke a bit too fast but like Oz said if my pipes not too hot I do what I want.

Reactions: john3music

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My cadence goes from artful contemplative sipping to freight train at the drop of a hat.
I believe that long term nic addicts that pick up a pipe later along the way struggle with the all the major puffing/packing issues at a higher rate than other folks (I was gonna say “weirdos that smoke for reasons other than nic delivery”, but I accept that those that drink decaf espresso walk among us).
It’s harder to retrain a mindset than to develop a fresh mindset.

Now dogs can be nuked, sliced and eaten in a bowl with Heinz ketchup and yellow mustard mixed like soup (don’t get me started on “catsup” vs “ketchup”), but if in a bun they are meant to be eaten with kraut, white onions, brown mustard, peppers, and celery salt.

Reactions: Bopaloobop

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Ketchup and mustard on hot dogs my whole life. I figured that was just some California thing when I saw the movie, lol. Where does the only mustard come from - I gots to know!

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
There's definitely a happy medium to be had; not too slow and not too fast. Too slow, and I'm constantly relighting. Too fast, and the tobacco tastes like ashy garbage before I'm even 1/4 done with the bowl.

I often go by temperature of the bowl. If it feels hot, I stop for a minute so it can cool and adjust my cadence accordingly.
That's how I do it.