Pipe Tobaccos you Might Find at a Cigar Store?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

skvnkpdx

Lurker
Dec 29, 2023
Oregon
Title edited for caps. Please read Rule 9.

An old friend owns a cigar shop a little out of town that I have never been to, and I am using my reintroduction to tobaccos as an excuse to finally go visit his shop! He knows a ton about cigars, and I plan on taking his advice in purchasing a couple cigars. However, I have noticed that cigar shops don't know a ton about pipe tobacco, but often have a couple. If I do see some pipe tobacco there I might buy some.

Are there any common pipe tobaccos you might see at an average b&m american cigar store that I should try?

I know this is a super vague question, but all my pipe tobacco comes from my dad, who knows more about pipes than I do. Sorry if there is a thread for this already, I did some searching but didn't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and jpberg

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
It depends on what you're into. I'm an aromatic guy so I'm usually looking out for Mac Barren or Sutliff. C&D makes great stuff as well. I do have some non aromatics that I occasionally enjoy, like Peterson Nightcap or Peterson Sherlock Holmes.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Most of the B&M cigar stores I've been to carry CAO pipe tobacco and possibly Molto Dulce and maybe a few other random samplings. Sometimes there are some "in-house" blends offered, as well.

As far as what you should try? That depends on you, but in my experiences the pipe tobacco is usually some form of aromatic. So, if you're into aro's you might be able to find something you like.

Reactions: skvnkpdx

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Most of the B&M cigar stores I've been to carry CAO pipe tobacco and possibly Molto Dulce and maybe a few other random samplings. Sometimes there are some "in-house" blends offered, as well.

As far as what you should try? That depends on you, but in my experiences the pipe tobacco is usually some form of aromatic. So, if you're into aro's you might be able to find something you like.
Molto Dolce is one of my favorites.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
In Toronto Canada close to the US, it is usually Mac Baren lines, Mac Baren, Peterson, Amphora, and OTC aros, always the same stuff. But I did see one carrying a bunch of rare Gawith tins recently, so I’ll be back there…

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Btw, to answer the second part of the question, try anything, most is good and it takes time to develop a taste. Captain black white or Royal is a good start. Myself I like higher nicotine tobacco, but it took time to figure that out…

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If he started it as a cigar store, maybe none at all. But why not call him and ask him what he may have. We could then advise with more certainty.

Good luck!

Reactions: Sobrbiker