PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I store mine stem up. My logic is that any left over gunk will be carried, via gravity toward the bowl to dry out and be smoked up next time rather than into the stem and in my mouth the next time.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Well, if it fits in a rack, how ever it actually fits in the rack. Others how ever they end up on the shelf.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I often wondered if we weren't doing it wrong, stem down moisture would run into stem where a fluffy pipe cleaner could easily get it out , stem up moisture in bowl, a no no, now I know it's not a lot of moisture but it defies common sense, if you have a good rifle you should stand it barrel down so oils won"t screw up stock, what do you fella think? The old cajun

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If your pipe is clean and dry before you store it, as it should be, it doesn't matter. :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Stem up, I haven't known any other way but I also never really think of it. Stem down makes me think of clay pipes in an old tavern, or my grandparent's spoon collection.
Working on estates has made me very conscious of cleaning, so I'm with 'squatch.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I have been storing mine stem down for the last year and found I got a dryer smoke. May just be me, I like to do things old school. I haven't had any problem with any bitter taste at the start of my smokes so any moister the pipe cleaner didn't get before the pipe went into the rack must escape out the mouth piece and evaperate, I have noticed the bowls drying faster than when they were down so my reasoning is in the 7 day rest each gets between smokes the wood gets a little extra drying so a dryer smoke. The difference is probably very small but makes me happy. :)

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Thanx for all the input, one of the reasons I ask is that I am getting ready to make a pipe rack and I found an older wooden single shelf that I am going to use. Now I believe all I will have to do is some measuring and hole drilling and I will be able to hang my pipes stem down, a much easier build. :clap:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I store mine stem up because that is how my pipe rack is designed. Every rack I have ever seen has this feature so it makes sense. I clean my pipes very well before putting them up so there is no moisture in them. I think storing them stem down was old school because people did not clean their pipes very well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I thought I read somewhere that it's common in Britain to store stems down. Don't know if that's true or not.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I thought I read in here one time, Europeans do stems down. Some of my bents do better down, the rest of my measly collection are up, depending on the rack, full circle or open (1/2 circle).

Status
Not open for further replies.