PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aw34r

Lurker
Dec 9, 2023
Hi All - new pipe smoker here anxiously wanting to smoke his first bowl! I received a new pipe and noticed this white residue in the p-lip mouth piece area. Is this cause for concern? Normal? Should I return? Thanks!
IMG_0878 (1).jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

aw34r

Lurker
Dec 9, 2023
Doesn't look like Peterson P-lip. What pipe are you smoking? Did you purchase it new?
It's a Savinelli P-lip and the specific model is the 614 dry purchased new. Additionally, I just returned a Savinelli 620 dry as it had the same residue and a cracked shank. All this to say is I am wondering if I had extremally bad luck or is the white residue par for the course and something I can expect if I exchange again? Thanks!

Reactions: bullet08

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The white stuff is polishing compound.

It will probably scrub off with a pipecleaner dampened with a bit of alcohol.

If it does NOT, It's because the slot itself isn't polished. The bits of compound are EXTREMELY small, and any roughness/irregularity of the slot interior surface is enough to trap and hold them.

Polishing slots is simple enough with the right tools, but pretty much impossible without them.

The near-microscopic quantity of powder isn't anything to worry about in any event. It's just unsightly.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Just bought a new Sav recently and just checked and unfortunately it’s not there. However, Wipe it as much as you can, and I wouldn't stress about it, the smoke will soon cover it…

Reactions: aw34r

aw34r

Lurker
Dec 9, 2023
Thank you all for your responses! While frustrating that a brand new pipe would have it, I am relieved to hear that it is not detrimental to the pipe or myself and that a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol should get rid of it. Appreciate everyone chiming in!

Reactions: kcghost