PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I have all three, but find my go to is still the Zippo. I love the "clink" it makes opening and closing, which is a pure nostalgia and cool factor, contributing to the ritual. However, I find the pipe extension emulates a match better than the others to gently light the backy.
Great review, thank you.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I very rarely use my Old Boy, just never really think about it. Since this review, I have to rethink the "good" lighter for "special" occasion thing.
I agree about the Zippo - it could be the lighter of my dreams except that it never has any fuel and there is an odor. For the past year, I've been using a Jetline pipe lighter. It was low cost, no frills and seems to be a good, basic pipe lighter with no tamper.
Thought I'd ask for a Corona Pipemaster for Christmas.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
UPDATE ON THE COLIBRI
41s%2BrUpuStL._SX425_.jpg

So I sent my broken Colibri Connaught II in for a warranty replacement and they sent back a brand new "Pacific Pipe" Lighter (which retails less than my Connaught - tho I did see it priced higher on one site). On the plus side, it only cost $9.50 for the replacement and it arrived very quickly.
On the down side, definitely has a cheap feel to it, esp when compared to my Connaught (which really did feel like a quality lighter).
It does have all of the same features and works fine, but I would be surprised if it lasts 2 years. Time will tell, but it should make a nice travel lighter.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
This is a very helpful thread. Many thanks to the OP and contributors for offering their opinions and experiences. Having a few more reviews of other lighters would be great too!
I bought a Thunderbird butane insert for my Zippo and it has failed within a few months. I have it packaged up and will be shipping it back tomorrow. My Zippo is just a standard one (not the pipe insert) and I am not using the new "black" fuel currently. I have it packaged up and ready to send to Bradford, PA tomorrow as well. Time to get the free pipe insert exchange and make the conversion to the low odor fuel. In the meantime I will be using matches, which, work fantastically.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I love my Zippo pipe lighter. I have 2 nice butane lighters (I.M.Colibri & VecTor) and can't get them to recharge with butane properly. The Zippo refuels quickly and easily and always lights. The others continue to collect dust.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys for the comments. And thanks ae1 for the added comments and extra reviews, nice work and good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.