Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina (USA)
Would someone be kind effort to tell me what the letters XSMS stands for. I recently purchased a Peterson System Standard 301 XSMS pipe, made in Dublin. Thank you, I am looking forward to learning what these letters stand for.

Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina (USA)
I purchased the pipe on Ebay, from a vendor named: Mrhscurioshop.
The pipe was advertized under the following:

Superb Peterson's Standard System XSMS 310 Smooth bent (pot) Briar Pipe (with Box & Pouch).

The vendor is out of Kettering, England United Kingdom. He has provided eight excellent photographs of the pipe, box and pouch. ON one of the photographs is a lable stating Standard System XSMS 301 Smooth P/LIP. As I have written the photos are excellent quality and show all markings. The photos are still up.

I just made the purchased this moring (Monday, November 13th.) thus the pipe is still in the UK and I am in North Carolina US. Hopefully this information will assist those wishing to answer the original question and that was What does XSMS stand for.

Thank you everyone for all the interest, happy piping!

Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina (USA)
Okay than, thank you for checking. So than does XSMS stand for Christmas which I guess would make sense. Thanks againg I really appreciate it. I think I will follow up with the vendor to see what he has to stay about the box. Should be interesting, I'll let you know what he sys.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina (USA)
Okay brothers, it looks as if RustiePyle CPG was correct regarding his wrong box assumption. I just heard back from the vendor. He told me that he buys estate pipes and than resells them as a hobby. The pipe in question came in the box shown. The vendor claimed not to be an "expert" non is he a smoker and certanly not a collector. He said when the pipe came in the box he just assumed that it was correct. Everything else about the pipe is still correct it is just not a Christmas addition as far aw we can tell.

The vendor did claim the the pipe looks better in person than in the photographs, we will have to wait and see.

Thank you RustiePyles CPG for sharing your observation and common sense lodgic !!

Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina (USA)
Yes sir I did think it was a joke, my own attempt at humor obvisly failed but I was glade for your input. That is what I was hoping for with this blog to learn from others and to have fun with new people. I was never insulted. So now I not only have to learn about our beloved hobby; but, I need to learn how to tell better jokes. Thanks for making me feel a part of the gang !

Reactions: didimauw and FLDRD

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I purchased the pipe on Ebay, from a vendor named: Mrhscurioshop.
The pipe was advertized under the following:

Superb Peterson's Standard System XSMS 310 Smooth bent (pot) Briar Pipe (with Box & Pouch).

The vendor is out of Kettering, England United Kingdom. He has provided eight excellent photographs of the pipe, box and pouch. ON one of the photographs is a lable stating Standard System XSMS 301 Smooth P/LIP. As I have written the photos are excellent quality and show all markings. The photos are still up.

I just made the purchased this moring (Monday, November 13th.) thus the pipe is still in the UK and I am in North Carolina US. Hopefully this information will assist those wishing to answer the original question and that was What does XSMS stand for.

Thank you everyone for all the interest, happy piping!
I'm from Kettering and it's not me selling the pipe, I only buy Petersons not sell them, hope you enjoy it when it arrives.