PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks, apologies if this help request is in the wrong place, am still finding my feet here.
I have a large Peterson sandblast billiard with no shape number or name stamped on the pipe. I wonder if some generous soul might advise me on a shape number or name for this pipe, also I would be interested to know its approximate age.
As can be seen below the pipe is a sitter and on the left of the 'foot' is stamped...
Peterson's

Dublin 2

...both words are arched.
On the right side of the 'foot' is stamped...
Made In The

Republic

Of Ireland

...all three lines are straight.
The pipe is a full 7 1/2 inches long, bowl height is 60mm and outer width is 37mm, bowl inner width is 23mm.
Clearly a P-lip stem but lacking any markings whatsoever but is does have that strange aluminium (removable) stinger device.
Though I cannot smoke this pipe due to the P-lip (I just cannot get on with those) I would really like to know something of this beautifully blasted pipe. Fingers crossed someone here might just have the info I need.
Regards,
Jay.
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/14153/img_0005-21-150x99.jpg
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/14153/img_0006-2-150x99.jpg
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/14153/img_0007-2-150x99.jpg
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/14153/img_0008-2-150x99.jpg
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/14153/img_0009-2-150x99.jpg
Bugger.....no photos yet again only links.....sorry folks, not my fault, followed the hopeless instructions to a 'T'.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Not the thumbnail, the full image. Right click>Copy Image Location>IMG (backspace out the default HTTP ) paste>OK>post. This is most easily done with two tabs open in a tabbed browser, one for the album one for the post. Try it again, you'll get it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
img_0005-21-600x399.jpg

img_0006-2-600x399.jpg

img_0007-2-600x399.jpg

img_0008-2-600x399.jpg

img_0009-2-600x399.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks yet again Dave, I really must get the hang of this upload images lark!
I knew you would get it, it took me a couple of times to figure it out also. :wink:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dave, interestingly it doesn't work when I use my AOL browser (uses Explorer) so I have to use Firefox and go that route. I must remember to upload the full image and not the thumbnail, that is where I was going wrong.
Thanks Bill for the info on the number '2' and rough date. What still puzzles me is that I have looked at many websites regards Peterson's pipes and have not seen my pipe shape/size on any of them. I would like to know what I have afore I offer it up un Ebay, simply posting 'Peterson's straight blasted billiard' wouldn't fully describe the pipe.
Also as far as I can tell, I would say 99.9% of all Peterson's pipes I have seen have some sort of ferule/metal ornamentation whereas mine clearly hasn't. Am wondering if it might be a 'second' or a reject. That said, I seem to recall reading womewhere that Peterson's never put their name to a reject/second pipe, just the fact that is was made in Ireland. Thoughts anybody?
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bill, are you suggesting that sandblasts are a rarity in the Peterson world? I'm sure I have seen plenty, in fact I have possibly two myself (this pipe apart).
For some reason I have in my head 'XL 235' as a model number for this pipe though not sure where I stumbled upon that.
Just read your posts again, I think you mean sandblasts as opposed to rusticated.
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looks in the 10X range.
peterson-cataloguecomp_page_23.jpg

Is perhaps Kapruff partially visible?
Unfortunately, without hallmarks, you cannot definitively date a Peterson (you can guess at a range).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Al, alas mine has no metalware therefore no hallmarks. Am guessing here but I reckon it to be a circa 1960's pipe. Size and shapewise I suppose I shall have to wait until someone on here spies it as being identical to what they have on their rack.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Al, I only later spied the name 'Kapruf' (note only the one 'f'!), a new one on me so I did a quick web search and saw plenty similar to mine (including the one you sourced for Steve Vaug). I just dug mine out and yet again studied it under my microscope but I can say with certaintly that there is nothing stamped on the 'foot' other than mentioned above.
I do think you have cracked the finish on the pipe though so many thanks for that.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Al, you are not going to believe this but just I hit send for my last post my doorbell rang. I looked out the window and saw a lady walking away and getting into her car and drive away. Most odd I thought. Then after a few moments I went to my front door and there on the step was a package.
I am expecting 2 packages from recent estate purchases but perhaps to arrive here midweek. As luck would have it the package was indeed an eBay win (Saturday) of 10 pipes + wooden stand and blow me if one of the pipes isn't a Peterson Kapruf!!!
Bloody amazing is that, up until 5 minutes ago I had never come across the name! Thing is the pipes were not at all well described but I spied a couple of useful lookers on the poor photos.
Now to see what other treasures I got :D
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neat! A like the lone Kapruf I own. Here's info that Jim Lilley posted to the International Peterson Collectors forums a few years ago:

The Kapruf series of pipes were manufactured until the mid-late 1980’s – there is no accurate way of dating pipes unless it is mounted with silver or gold Hallmarks.Of course they did not have any.
One of my old 1960 catalogues describes the Kapruf Pipe Series as follows:-
“A fine sandblast finish distinguishes this range of light natural grained pipes with their distinctive red colouring. Very popular with sportsmen.”

Mark Irwin recently reminded me a few weeks ago that Kapruf pipes will be incrementally smaller than the smooth shape because they had a flaw that was sandblasted over (when I commented that my 9BC Kapruf was smaller than the smooth Premier Selection that I also own). Makes sense.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Al, here is the Kapruf 68 as it arrived here yesterday. Clearly much work will be required to make this presentable but I shall enjoy it. Alas due to the dreaded P-lip stem this is yet another Peterson pipe I shall not be able to smoke :|
I am tempted to finish this one in black, would they have ever left the factory so or were they always an ox blood colour?
Your observation "Mark Irwin recently reminded me a few weeks ago that Kapruf pipes will be incrementally smaller than the smooth shape because they had a flaw that was sandblasted over (when I commented that my 9BC Kapruf was smaller than the smooth Premier Selection that I also own). Makes sense." is only in part true as obviously blasting a smooth pipe will reduce its size and therefore its weight irrespective of the pipe having a flaw or not.
Regards,
Jay.
imgp3626-2-600x450.jpg

imgp3628-2-600x450.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi JPM, I have just finished cleaning the internals of the stummel and the rim & bowl are ticketyboo, the airway however was a real swine to clean out. I have never before come across an airway so clogged up with tar! It must have been a real bugger to smoke it as it was.
The stem too is proving to be a challenge as the oxidation is very deep. It spent the night in Oxyclean then was scrubbed this morning. I suppose most of tomorrow will be spent on sorting that out...all for a pipe I will never smoke (P-lip you see).
As for final colour am still undecided but I do prefer black.
Regards,
Jay.
PS: FWIW am now smoking my first ever Missouri cob pipe (came in the same batch as the Kapruf) and I have to say it's rather nice :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here is the finished pipe though more work is still needed on the stem. I do like the sandblast finish, particularly on the left side. Am glad I dismissed the idea of a black finish, I ended up going for a dark tan which I think is with keeping of the original colour.
Not bad for a pipe that cost me £2:71!
Regards,
Jay.
1111-600x399.jpg

2111-600x399.jpg

3110-600x399.jpg

418-600x399.jpg

512-600x399.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.