PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Speaking of which, the opera has always had respect for heavy people, in deference to the idea that a large body often provided a powerful resonance for singing and projecting the sound. The massive soprano is supreme as is the huge tenor (or baritone, or bass).
Much as I love and admire her voice, it's difficult to picture La Stupenda (Dame Joan Sutherland) as a svelte, beguiling object of a young man's desire :rolleyes:
When I saw Julia Migenes as Carmen my first thought was "now that's what has been missing in most operas - a believable, sexy heroine" bdw

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Much as I love and admire her voice, it's difficult to picture La Stupenda (Dame Joan Sutherland) as a svelte, beguiling object of a young man's desire :rolleyes:

By the time I saw Leonie Rysanek as the Marschallin in Der Rosenkavalier she could not possibly have qualified as the object of any young man’s desire, no matter how perverse unorthodox his taste may have been.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I saw Julia Migenes as Carmen my first thought was "now that's what has been missing in most operas - a believable, sexy heroine" bdw
The opera has had its share of hotties:
lily Pons--art-lyrique-bel-canto.jpg

Iliy Pons in Lakmé

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
😍😍
Growing up in the age of vinyl meant (thankfully) one was able to be entranced by the voice alone.
One has to suspend belief when SEEing La Stupenda and Monserrat Caballe in certain roles
Visual impairment can sometimes be a blessing in disguise :)
Absolutely. But Wagner didn't give two farts about the realities regarding who could pitch their voice over his lush orchestrations, so you need big people with big mass to resonate, in order to project over the orchestra into the theatre.
Still, opera has always had its hotties, besides the nearly nude Lily Pons, there's Bidu Sayao, and Rosa Ponselle, who come to mind, and Ponselle was that rarity, a relatively small person with a HUGE voice.

Reactions: OzPiper

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Can't believe that Glenn Ross weighed over 200kg's at 'only' 6"1, like if he was 6'9 or so it would be comparable to the Brian Shaw's and Thor's etc.

I'm the same height at about 115kg's, the thought of doubling that I cannot fathom. In all seriousness though, he carries it well compared to an morbidly obese person with the same height/weight and absolutely no muscle.

Would be nice to strict military press 195kg's though, but the missus wouldn't agree and there are more important things to spend my time doing, physically 😅