Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
  • Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Just wondering what you do with collectors memorbilia. Like owning a gun and not shooting it. Or owning a pipe and not smoking it. What do you do with it?

Reactions: mawnansmiff
I thought this was about underwear... but these are boxing trunks. There was a piece of plastic separating any dangly bits from these silky fabrics. Come on, people collect jerseys, uniforms, helmets, etc... from all sorts of sporting things. I could easily see someone, or a bunch of folks bidding on these. They're iconic.
I don't give a F about sports, except boxing... but I don't collect memorabilia like that. But, many people do.

You think that is weird, try looking at the prices of posters from concerts. My lawyer has a long hallway in his office with these large concert posters from Grateful Dead, to Cream, Jefferson Airplane, etc... The frames are worth thousands, and if you go to the bid sites like Flatstock and check out the prices... some can go for over a million, easily. They even have authentication companies that will authenticate that your poster is original. It's big business.

So, you have several million in your portfolio, most of it is tied up in investments, businesses, etc, but each month you get more money from that money than you can spend on normal things. You start to look for unique hobbies like sports shit or posters, etc... You might not want to invest in art though, because that would be an obvious investment to the tax man, whereas spending on things like this might be a neat way to use your money.

Reactions: Zero and AroEnglish