PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've loads of tins on my shelves to dig in and try for my first time, and yesterday I did just that.
Perusing the labels I came across this one and got excited from the listing of Virginia, Burley & Perique!!
Popped it open and..... it smelled like Peterson Sunset Breeze?
WTH?
Dug into the description online only to find out (of course) that it's got a couple o' toppings on it.
Not what I was looking for.
Although the toppings are different, it really did remind me of Sunset Breeze. For me, they're in the same ballpark - and for the most part - that's not my preferred game.
I gave it a go in a little Peterson 317 but I've got too many others to try that I don't want to spend my time smoking candy... I mean, I can try to enjoy it for what it is, but I don't prefer to.
This will likely join 1 or 2 others in a "FAT" donation... Free Aromatic Tobacco - to someone...

1713802372222.png

1713802389634.png

1713802404048.png

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
A great day out with some great pubs, and great beers, some fantastic smokes and most importantly excellent company!
Oh my dear old thing. Sweet of you to say so! lol (blowers reference there, which you’ll get if you follow English cricket).

Like @jaingorenard i too, thoroughly enjoyed the day!
Snuff was sniffed, bowls were smoked, pipes both old & new were fondled & admired. Foaming pints of English bitter freely flowed…..all day! Despite the booze, we both behaved impeccably & neither of us interfered with any of the local womenfolk. We sought out the towns last remaining tobacconist & bought some St. Bruno. A genteel & relaxing day out, talking all about our shared passion of pipes & tobacco.

I should give thanks to @admin & all the moderators of pipesmagazine. It’s easy to take online forums for granted, but through their work we can all forge friendships & meet up with fellow pipesmokers, wherever we are in the world.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
A true living legend (to use a very over-used phrase!).
He is that, bless him! 👍
We might not have the best cricketers anymore but we certainly have the best commentators..... always have had! Johnners, Blowers, Aggers etc. Other sports were the same, maclaren (union) waring (league) motson etc. Either all died off or been replaced by the current woke push of imposing female commentators onto every televised sport. Harrumph!

I digress. Here's some more photos of Fryers Smokynge Mixture.
DSC_0522.JPGDSC_0520.JPG
And here's one of the pubs we visited. A charming little watering hole, unchanged since Tudor times.
DSC_0527.JPGDSC_0524.JPG

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Amazing stuff. What did that Fryer's taste like? Cheers.
There's a real dark sweetness from the Virginias but I'm pretty sure some of that is from the Orientals too. As with a lot of really old blends it comes across as one very melded flavour, rather than individual constituents. I could smell a bit of smokiness from Latakia in the tin, barely noticed it in the smoke. But smoking it now I am getting the Latakia. What's really surprised me is how 'gently' it smokes for such a fine cut, and it seems to burn really slowly. No idea why that would be!

I'm enjoying it much more today than I did yesterday. I wonder if I've dug down more into what was in the middle of the tin - I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Ah, yes.
This is more of what I was looking for!
It started off in my absolute most favorite pipe: Peterson 2020 POTY, # 152 /400.

* If any of you can point me in the direction of acquiring more of that pipe, I'd like to end up with a 7 day set. *

Yeah, that sounds like I'm a collector, but that's not really the case. It just fits my profile of (facial to pipe) angles for clenching, and gives me a great experience every time. I'd like to have one for every day so they can get a decent rest in between.

1713888879962.png

1713889424555.png

1713889446183.png

1713889466006.png

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
20240424_130713.jpg Ashton's Artisans blend. Some people liken this to Nightcap, I do not. Thinking that I was going to get something similar to compare to Nightcap, I was surprised. It isn't going to replace my old faithful, but it is a nice, rich blend. I believe there may be a smidge of Kentucky added for strength. Overall, it isn't as velvety smooth as Nightcap, nor does it have the upper medium strength. I just don't see the comparison. Still, it's a decent blend.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
View attachment 305601 Ashton's Artisans blend. Some people liken this to Nightcap, I do not. Thinking that I was going to get something similar to compare to Nightcap, I was surprised. It isn't going to replace my old faithful, but it is a nice, rich blend. I believe there may be a smidge of Kentucky added for strength. Overall, it isn't as velvety smooth as Nightcap, nor does it have the upper medium strength. I just don't see the comparison. Still, it's a decent blend.
Ashton Artisans it's a great blend. Only cons for me, it's a very mild for me. I like it much better than Nightcap. And i find it smoother.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
20240425_122045.jpg
2021 MacBaren Balkan. This is a new one for me and so far it is very enjoyable. I like this a lot. This was released as a replacement for Vintage Syrian. No, it's not the same blend. A little less latakia, perhaps because Cyprian is a more potent and fresher version of latakia. Similar casing as Vintage Syrian, but a bit different. Has the trademark MacBaren tart/sweet Virginias with their signature Kentucky as a small, but necessary player. Clean, crisp finish. It's not trying to be Vintage Syrian, it's it's own thing. I highly recommend this one as a medium Balkan.

Last edited: