Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I would like to know what you guys think about putting olive oil on your pipe stem and bowl.
Most if not all pipers seem to agree that putting olive oil on your vulcanite pipe stem is good.
Vulcanite is the hard black rubber that many stems are made from. It is susceptible to oxidation, which is what can turn it green or brown.
Olive Oil is a natural anti-oxidant and can help preserve the beauty of your vulcanite stem.
Putting olive oil on the wood seems to be a polarizing topic.
In brief, some swear by it and say they have been doing it for years and it keeps a nice sheen on their pipes. I fall into this category.
Those opposed say that olive oil can become rancid and sour the pipe, others say this isn't so and it helps put a nice patina on the pipe.
What do you guys say?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kevin, you're right about extra virgin olive oil, it is loaded with natural anti-oxidants, detering rancidity. If you want additional protection add the oil from a vitamin-E gel cap; it's the anti-oxidant, α-tocophenyl (only ~1½% is required.) Instrument restoration experts use it to (re-)condition the Grenadilla wood from which clarinets are made. My personal opinion is that carnauba wax is superior to EVOO, and has a long and proven track record in use on briar pipes. That's my 2¢ worth.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I've heard about using olive oil for vulcanite, but haven't tried it yet.
If I want a quick sheen on the wood, I just use the oil from my nose. I can't remember where I've read about that, but it works fine for me and since it's my own nose, I'm not grossed out over it.
Another good use for nose oil is reducing the head on a beer.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
dudleydipstick - If I want a quick sheen on the wood, I just use the oil from my nose. I can't remember where I've read about that
I read it in Richard Carleton Hacker's book, Pipe Smoking - A 21st Century Guide. Also, Michael Gladis refers to it in his interview, I think it is in part 2 or 3.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I used to use olive oil when on the road on my stems. Now I use a rag that has been sprayed with Lemon Pledge and allowed to dry leaving the wax and a small amount lemon oil. It cleans any dirt and oils from the hand and leaves a nice sheen just like Briar Wipe. The sheen disappears as soon as the pipe warms but a quick wipe with the rag restores it.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I used olive oil (or grapeseed oil for a more neutral taste) on my stems but would never put it on the wood. Nothing but pure carnuba or a Briar Pipe Wipe rag on the wood. To me, oil on the wood will sink into the pores of the wood clogging them causing a hotter smoke. Pipes will patina nicely on their own without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.