PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Welcome!
I think Captain Black is OK. I wouldn't throw it out personally. I've seen others suggest Lane's 1Q. I'd concur and highly recommend it. It's what I carry around in my pouch.
I've found myself gravitating to flakes, both straight Virginias and VaPers, but see myself having 1Q as my all day smoke for the foreseeable future.
Being new I think the key is not narrowing down on one or two things, but sampling the plethora of blends that are out there. It's amazing what is available to you once you start looking around.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Yet another "Welcome" to you.
I suggest you take a look at the Sutliff Private Stock line. They have a good selection of both aromatics and non-areos, and they are nicely priced.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome :) It's good to see so many new members lately. Don't let the countless choices of pipes and tobacco overwhelm you. Try a few here and there to see what you like and dislike and go from there.

Mar 1, 2014
I was going to say I'm surprised at how many new people are signing up here, but I guess I'm probably still one of them, so come on in the water's just fine!
I think the best thing I can say to a new person in one sentence is: Don't let the first, tenth or even hundredth bowl skew your judgement, there's always something new to try.

lunchie

Lurker
Feb 16, 2015
I started a youtube channel, well not exactly started I had it since 2011 but i started posting videos. So far they are little 5 minute videos of me puffing on a pipe b.s.ing about various things about me. I'm not telling yall because I want to become a youtube star or to beg for subs. I just thought some of you may be on youtube and would like to stop by for a smoke, a drink and a chat now and then with me. I know its not the same as sitting on my porch and hanging out but it is the next best thing. :puffy:

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Welcome!!!
Of the prior post I read I give a +1 to the following from Anthony
anthonyrosenthal74: Don't let the countless choices of pipes and tobacco overwhelm you. Try a few here and there to see what you like and dislike and go from there.
Good advice! I also add that everyone here is very helpful to those on the journey... So don't hesitate to post a question... or two ... or three ..or whatever you need.
I add that my absolute favorite first tobacco in the aro style is from a VA beach tobacconist called Emersons Cigars. They have a web site and ship. the tobacco is called "Captains Delight". It is in their bulk tobacco list. Also since you are only smoking some of the time, the ABSOLUTE best tin for an aro is Drew Estates "Central Park Stroll" If you try them post a question of how to clean wetness from a bowl. :P Being goopy is their only draw back.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Lane 1Q.

There are tons of different blends out there, but you can't go wrong with 1Q. A great starter blend, which I still enjoy.

Pipe smoking can be easy and economically friendly. The sky is the limit. Welcome aboard.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a bit OCD and have a stressful job as well. The pipe definitely makes me slow down and just reflect. Welcome to our passion...or insanity!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Welcome Lunchie! I'm in the same boat as you. I smoked cigars pretty regularly for a while, but reasonably new to pipes. I can say though, if you need something quick and pretty flavorful the price, Captain Black isn't all that bad...but then again, that might be the newbie in me speaking. Welcome again!

Status
Not open for further replies.