PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I picked up the new billiard that Rad Davis posted this evening. A nice contrast blast with a cumberland stem. Dimensions are 2 X 5 3/4 and weighs 50g.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Beautiful pick up Peck. I also enjoy how the stem and the stain play nice in the sandbox together. Is that a cocobolo ring between the cumberland stem and the shank?
-- Pat

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a great looking Rad Peck. Congratulations. I love that blast and stain.
Beautiful pick up Peck. I also enjoy how the stem and the stain play nice in the sandbox together. Is that a cocobolo ring between the cumberland stem and the shank?
I don't think so either. Rad usually leaves the end of the shank smooth on his blasted pipes as well as a little patch on the underneath side for his stamp. A pic of the end of the shank can be seen here.
Another pic of Peck's billiard.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for that pic gwtwdbss. It looks to me like he has run something counter to the "grain" of the cumberland at the end of the stem. [EDIT} I take that back. I looked again, I think he just left a smooth ring at the stummel before he started the blast. Regardless, it provides a really wonderful break between the cumberland and the stain of the shank.
Just a lovely pipe Peck.
-- Pat

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I am sure it will be a great smoker. What are you going to choose for it's maiden voyage?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
66547B76-DC68-4438-8BD6-21B0FB6BB117-27758-00003690E2445A5C_zps98035ca7.jpg
Peck I know yours will smoke as good as mine, love the stem on yours. The old cajun

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I hope you enjoy it for many years. You can mix yor Cooke's and Rad's for a special 7 day set.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, glad it was you who grabbed that one. Should be an awesome smoker. I love the stain and the Cumberland stem combo, and the blast is different in the way it comes down the side, very cool. Congrats on your new Rad buddy.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Peck:
I hope that you enjoy your new Rad as much as I do my Rad's. He builds that most comfortable stems around. Enjoy!

Dec 24, 2012
I was looking at this Rad pipe in comparison to the briar blues one I posted a day or so ago. It is interesting that the depth of this blast is much lighter than the briar blues pipe. Is it just the grain that determines the blast or can you actually do one blast heavier than another. I confess - in case it wasn't obvious - I know zilch about the blasting process.

Dec 24, 2012
Rad read this discussion and kindly sent me an e-mail. Essentially he said that he just lets the briar blast however its going to blast, and each piece of wood blasts differently.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, glad to hear you got an answer for your question. I have always been impressed at how Rad does follow the grain and does not force things. It looks much more natural to my eye. That pipe is going to be an awesome smoker, let us know when you light it up. I would suggest breaking it in with Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.