PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

driziv

Lurker
Dec 22, 2023
Hello all,

New to the forum - been a pipe smoker for a few years. Most of my pipes are Savinelli, a few Ser Jacopos and Radices. Just purchased a Northern Briars pipe and noticed there is a really strong (stain/dye) smell. There is no bowl coating on the inside but the smell is really strong on the outside of the bowl and shank. Not sure if it due to this being a recently stained/dyed pipe... I have never noticed such a strong smell from any of the dozen or so pipes I have had, not even the ones (Savinelli) that have a bowl coating.
Still a newbie to pipe smoking so not sure if this is something that will go away on its own? Any thoughts?

Reactions: Laurent and Scottmi

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
If the pipe was over-stained, you can remove some of the excess by wiping the bowl with a paper towel saturated with Everclear grain alcohol. This should also help to reduce/eliminate the odor of the dye.

Once you have removed the over-stain to your satisfaction, wipe the bowl dry, and then wax.

Reactions: Laurent

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If the pipe was over-stained, you can remove some of the excess by wiping the bowl with a paper towel saturated with Everclear grain alcohol. This should also help to reduce/eliminate the odor of the dye.

Once you have removed the over-stain to your satisfaction, wipe the bowl dry, and then wax.
Alcohol is very effective at removing stain. I'd give this a try.

Reactions: Laurent

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Whatever solvent was used to CARRY the pigment particles---alcohol, water, etc.---is long gone.

If what's remaining smells bad there are only two possible reasons:

1 -- the pigment particles are made from ground up durian husk

2 -- the briar absorbed something nasty at some point in its life, and is now outgassing

• Haha
Reactions: Laurent and OzPiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hello all,

New to the forum - been a pipe smoker for a few years. Most of my pipes are Savinelli, a few Ser Jacopos and Radices. Just purchased a Northern Briars pipe and noticed there is a really strong (stain/dye) smell. There is no bowl coating on the inside but the smell is really strong on the outside of the bowl and shank. Not sure if it due to this being a recently stained/dyed pipe... I have never noticed such a strong smell from any of the dozen or so pipes I have had, not even the ones (Savinelli) that have a bowl coating.
Still a newbie to pipe smoking so not sure if this is something that will go away on its own? Any thoughts?
It’ll go away. Had new pipes show up smelling a little stain-like many times. It’s just because it was stained very recently. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Reactions: Laurent and OzPiper

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Interesting, as pipe maker I have never noticed a stain smell after staining a pipe. I also use to own my own painting business and have stained lots of wood but, that stain is different. I use the fiebings stain but they make two types. One being the alcohol base, which is the one pipe makers use the other is not alcohol base. Is the pipe really shiny? Maybe it’s shellacked? And that’s what you’re smelling?

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I once bought a pipe from a well-known artisan pipe maker and it absolutely reeked of something, either a hellish alcohol compound or maybe a hydrocarbon of some sort. I gave it away after trying to smoke it a couple of times. I should probably have tried flaming it or baking it or something, but I was ticked.

• Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish