PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I see several suggestions have burley which, you specifically mentioned as a ”no go”. My suggestion would be G&H DVC (Dark Virginia Cavendish). This is a pleasant, mild tobacco. There used to be a multitude of VA Cavendishes that would fit this bill (like the discontinued Dobie’s 4 Square Cavendish) but, they are not quite as plentiful nowadays.

mbsigman

Lurker
Jan 28, 2024
Well, so far I've tried the 1-Q. Wife didn't like the aroma all that much, and I (surprisingly, to me) thought it had a bit of a bite. Got some Good Companion from Edwards, and she was only so-so on that aroma but I didn't get much of a buzz from it, so I will try it some more. Today I tried the Autumn Evening and she liked that aroma, and I thought it the best of the bunch so far. Looked into getting some G&H DVC but not the easiest to find. Edwards is sending out some of their Black & Gold which is supposed to be similar to the G&H, and they're also sending me some of their Quick Draw.

My sincere thanks to everybody that took the time to respond. I would love to hear any further suggestions you may have.

Mike

Jun 23, 2019
Hello all. Just joined. Been smoking Dolphin from Edward's in TPA for many years. They cannot get the ingredients anymore for that blend. They're sending me some samples to try (we're in the DFW area) but in the meantime I need a recommendation for a new tobacco. Two requirements for the new substitute: must be mild and MUST NOT HAVE BURLEY. I can't smoke burley as it makes me dizzy. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

By all accounts on Tobacco Reviews, this Dolphin blend is an aromatic on the sweeter side, with burley and cavendish being it's two most prominent components. Could you possible elaborate on how you found out you were reactive to burleys?

- - -

My sincere thanks for the quick replies! Requests for information on some forums do not get many responses - not that I'd names, but the various VW forums spring to mind - but y'all rock!

Turns out I'd had some 1-Q that I'd purchased a long time ago from Iwan Ries in ORD (what a terrific place!) and I tried it last night. While mild, I found it didn't have a whole lot of flavor and my wife wasn't wild about the aroma. Don't get me wrong as it wasn't bad at all, but admittedly I'm used to the Dolphin from Edwards. I also ordered a small pouch of both the 1-Q (maybe something fresher might be a tad different) and the Autumn Evening to try. For grins and giggles, I also ordered a pouch of the Good Companion from Edwards. Perhaps it was, as mentioned, an issue with the Nic Hit and as I'd tried it when I'd first started smoking maybe I was more sensitive to that aspect of pipe smoking back then (1978). Who knows, maybe it won't be so bad now as I have a few miles under my belt now.

My father used to smoke Captain Black and when I tried it, I found that while it smelled terrific it was (for me) exceptionally harsh. Perhaps the other Captain Black blend would be milder.

I'm very appreciative of all of your suggestions; please keep them coming.

V/R

Mike

Good chance this might be just the age, aromatics like 1Q can lose their topping flavor after significant time. I can't imagine anyone would find a fresh sample of 1Q to "[not] have a whole lot of flavor" and if that was the case, I can't imagine there is a blend that would satisfy that particular sweet tooth.

That said, I would recommend the following blends:

Sutliff Panna Cotta/Creme Brulee/A Taste of Summer
G&H American Sweet Peach
KBV Sakura

mbsigman

Lurker
Jan 28, 2024
I found out I had a reaction to burley when I originally tried Good Companion. Mr Stein, owner of the Edwards franchise in MIA at the time, had recommended the Good Companion as being mild. When I had the dizzies from it, he thought it was the burley as he'd heard of people reacting that way to burley. I was bummed as I'd liked the Good Companion and my wife also thought it ok. He switched me to Dolphin which I've been smoking ever since.

Turns out from information gleaned on this forum (and I thank you) the issue may have been the Nic Hit and not the burley.

I will try the newer 1-Q to see if there's a difference.

As I mentioned, I have re-tried the Good Companion and didn't notice any adverse reactions. I really enjoyed the Autumn Evening, and my wife mentioned she liked that the best when compared to the Dolphin.

Please keep the suggestions coming as they are very much appreciated.

Mike

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
* edit! I thought I read WITH burley. Redburn is a strong burley blend. My mistake.

I absolutely love Redburn, from C&D.

Delicious worth very light topping but enough to be present and pleasant without getting even close to flavored territory.

Anyone else enjoy it?

Last edited:
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There are many options. Go to smokingpipes.com and play with their search options. A quick search excluding dark fired and burley show 32 pages of 24 items. Enjoy the search
That search feature is a god send. If I ever find whoever created it I will share a bowl of some of my McClelland I’m hoarding.

• Love
Reactions: seanv
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
* edit! I thought I read WITH burley. Redburn is a strong burley blend. My mistake.

I absolutely love Redburn, from C&D.

Delicious worth very light topping but enough to be present and pleasant without getting even close to flavored territory.

Anyone else enjoy it?
I’ve only had a tin of it; picked it up just because I was at a tobacconist to meet a friend and I always buy at least a tin when I’m in a B&M. Might buy another tin to see if I still like it and if I do cellar a pound of it.

Reactions: seanv

PLANofMAN

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
My sincere thanks for the quick replies! Requests for information on some forums do not get many responses - not that I'd names, but the various VW forums spring to mind - but y'all rock!

Turns out I'd had some 1-Q that I'd purchased a long time ago from Iwan Ries in ORD (what a terrific place!) and I tried it last night. While mild, I found it didn't have a whole lot of flavor and my wife wasn't wild about the aroma. Don't get me wrong as it wasn't bad at all, but admittedly I'm used to the Dolphin from Edwards. I also ordered a small pouch of both the 1-Q (maybe something fresher might be a tad different) and the Autumn Evening to try. For grins and giggles, I also ordered a pouch of the Good Companion from Edwards. Perhaps it was, as mentioned, an issue with the Nic Hit and as I'd tried it when I'd first started smoking maybe I was more sensitive to that aspect of pipe smoking back then (1978). Who knows, maybe it won't be so bad now as I have a few miles under my belt now.

My father used to smoke Captain Black and when I tried it, I found that while it smelled terrific it was (for me) exceptionally harsh. Perhaps the other Captain Black blend would be milder.

I'm very appreciative of all of your suggestions; please keep them coming.

V/R

Mike
Lane 1-Q is basically Captain Black Royal, with less PG (preservative). I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding might be worth a look. It's an English blend, not an aromatic, but it's a good smelling and tasting blend, even for this confirmed aromatic smoker. And for a blend that has everything but the proverbial kitchen sink in it, it doesn't contain burley.

Autumn Evening smells nice, but is very much a one note flavor and smell. It's not a complex aromatic by any any stretch of the imagination.

mbsigman

Lurker
Jan 28, 2024
Hello all. Wanted to update everyone on latest information in re my request for assistance.

First and foremost, I thank each and every one of you for your exceptionally valuable advice.

I tried many different blends that were recommended. The Good Companion surprised me the most as although I initially reported no issues when smoking just a bit (less than half a bowl), when I smoked a full bowl I noticed a definite buzz effect, and it also affected my wife. The nicotine in that blend is (apparently) much higher than what I'm used to, and not only did it keep me up all night but it kept my wife up as well. So that's out. From Edwards I also tried Quickdraw and Black and Gold. Wife did not like the Black and Gold at all, and was indifferent at best to the Quickdraw so those were out.

I personally did not enjoy the 1-Q which surprised me as it came highly recommended here. I found it average at best.

I thought C/D Autumn Evening would be her favorite but nope, she was not a fan. So much for that brilliant idea of mine!

On the recommendations from this thread I tried several from LJ Peretti: Burlington, Whiskey Cavendish, and Boylston. Of those, I thought the Boylston was the best and that was the tobacco she liked the best. So it looks like the Boylston will do the trick.

In retrospect I feel that the majority of you were spot on; this wasn't a burley issue but rather a nicotine content issue for me.

Again, my gratitude for all that took the time to respond and to make suggestions and give advice. I hope someday I can return the favor.

V/R

Mike