PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaan

Lurker
Jan 28, 2013
Picked up this Peterson Kildare 150s with a P Lip on ebay, needed some cleaning and deoxiding of the stem but it is looking pretty good now! Loving it so far. I was looking hard for a bulldog shape because i have some sort of attraction to the shape and landed this un.
8687241610_fae1d2b858_c.jpg

oh and the other side:
8687277772_c43777d69c_c.jpg

shaan

Lurker
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks all! Cleaned up the stem with an oxyclean bath, jewelers rouge, and a magic eraser. Certainly not shiny but I kind of like the matte look

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Shaan that's a great looking pipe. Good on you for cleaning it up.
Until you grab some stem oil a little chapstick buffed in with a soft cloth will help protect it and give it a bit of shine.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
http://obsidianpipe.com
I haven't used it but I've been thinking about it. Some guys swear by it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice job. Nice Pete!
BTW, did you do jeweler's rouge and then the magic eraser, or the other way round? The jeweler's rouge is finer than magic eraser. It's still a fairly large jump in abrasiveness, but going from eraser to rouge should (with plenty of elbow grease) leave a decent shine.
Alternatively, you could get a pack of micromesh or micromesh pads -- you've clearly got the skills/know-how to get that stem back to a glassy shine and they make it easy.
Again, great pipe and lovely grain. Congrats.

shaan

Lurker
Jan 28, 2013
I reversed that and went from rouge to eraser. I shall see what it looks like with rough next. I need to order the micro mesh soon And work with that as well. The stem started this color:
8687929520_b8192924ea_c.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, that's pretty heavy oxidation. Looks great, now. There are a hundred ways to skin a catfish, of course. Steve Laug has a great blog on pipe restoration if you find you've got the restoration bug.

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.