PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Barbara

Lurker
Jun 19, 2023
Hi, I'm new here - only for this purpose actually.

I've inherited this pipe, the Hallmark indicated that it was made by Sina Oppenheimer in around 1903. But that is where the information stops. My late father-in-law, was born in Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia in 1936), he inherited IT from a family member, but not sure who.

I would appreciate some more information.

Looking forward to hearing from your learned group.
BARBARA
20230618_122230.jpg

20230618_122213.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Doesn’t appear that it was smoked all that often. Chipping of the amber near the tenon, and the cracked and repaired stem greatly detract from the value.

There are quite a few of these old turn of the last century pipes floating around. Those that were marketed by well known and established names, such as Barling, and in very good or better condition command a premium price. Others, not so much.

Of course it could get a higher price on eBay… I would be a buyer at around $150.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Oppenheimer was a big player in the pipe world and still owns Cadogan. He has had operations on both sides of the English Channel, both in England and France. Sina is one of his companies in France. The pipe must be from the first decade of the 20th century at most. It looks, to me, like a Viennese pipe of that time, imported by Oppenheimer to London from where it, perhaps, made his way to Rhodesia.

Reactions: yanoJL

Barbara

Lurker
Jun 19, 2023
Hi, Thank you. This information is most appreciated.
Oppenheimer was a big player in the pipe world and still owns Cadogan. He has had operations on both sides of the English Channel, both in England and France. Sina is one of his companies in France. The pipe must be from the first decade of the 20th century at most. It looks, to me, like a Viennese pipe of that time, imported by Oppenheimer to London from where he perhaps made his way to Rhodesia.

Reactions: Alejo R.

Barbara

Lurker
Jun 19, 2023
Doesn’t appear that it was smoked all that often. Chipping of the amber near the tenon, and the cracked and repaired stem greatly detract from the value.

There are quite a few of these old turn of the last century pipes floating around. Those that were marketed by well known and established names, such as Barling, and in very good or better condition command a premium price. Others, not so much.

Of course it could get a higher price on eBay… I would be a buyer at around $150.
Thank you.

Yes, very little change in colour on the stem, but from the top quite dark. It is damaged. Not ready to sell it yet, Mother-in-Law hanging on to it for now.20230618_122236.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Barbara

Lurker
Jun 19, 2023
This type of pipe often had a smaller piece of decorated Meerschaum that would plug into the top of the woman’s hat, to smoke cheroots (small cigars).
Wow that is very interesting, any idea what that would look like - it might be somewhere in her collection without even knowing it.