PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pittsy

Lurker
Dec 21, 2022
Paphos, Cyprus
I’m in Thessaloniki for new year and found this. Absolutely amazing! My first tobacco with Latakia and I have fallen in love!

Pretty new to smoking a pipe. So can’t give you great descriptions yet! Maybe I’ll re edit when I finished half the bag 😂

Attachments

• 28DB328E-2986-4EDA-9ADB-6813CD05C9CD.jpeg
    28DB328E-2986-4EDA-9ADB-6813CD05C9CD.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 37

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
must not have a lot of latakia. I don't see the classic black pieces. Or I could just be half blind at the moment. Interesting can't wait to hear about it. And man that is quite the shirt. You don't see shirts like that round here, well you do in thrift shops sometimes.

Reactions: karam and Pittsy

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Welcome to the forum from Greece, UK and Switzerland!

Hmm this looks like they changed it. I don't know what's going on with Wolfway, they used to have a B&M store in Athens in Voulis street (I think) which I visited a few times, nice guys overall and knowledgeable. Their Basma was pure fragrance, smoking it was akin to smoking a blend, that's how much nuance and flavour it had. They closed the physical store in Athens a few years back if I'm not mistaken, then their website was a bit odd - a lot of pushing of heated tobacco, CBD and RYO. It was hard to find the pipe tobacco. In any case the guys in the shop told me they make no money on the pipe blends, they just do it because they love smoking pipes, their cigarette tobacco was the money maker.

I had a big can of it when Wolfway still packaged their blends in the big metal cans - this is 3-4 years ago. I recall it was very good. They advertised - and I read on the card they still do - that it has "Egyptian Latakia". I recall the older offering had 30% of this "Latakia". The cut was much finer, and the blend overall a lot darker than what's in the picture, check out the pic on tobaccoreviews: Tobacco Reviews | Wolfway - Pyramid (Medusa) - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11312/wolfway-pyramid, that's what it used to look like. It's a pity if they changed it, as it was really very good - their straight Burley was also sublime when I had it, the Virginia less so, the Basma phenomenal. Their semi-aromatics too, overall their product was top quality.
I bought a bag of their EE2 blend in the summer which also has this pretty annoying thick cut which I find to worsen the blend, even if it is the same blend it burns differently.

I say "Latakia" above because I'd never heard of Egyptian Latakia, then after doing some digging I found that current "Latakia" is pretty shady, apparently it is grown in Cyprus, then sent to Turkey (and elsewhere?) where it is smoked, then sent back to Cyprus to be packaged as Cypriot Latakia and sent to blenders worldwide (or in reality probably to the US, UK, Denmark and Germany).

Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
Welcome to the forum from Greece, UK and Switzerland!

Hmm this looks like they changed it. I don't know what's going on with Wolfway, they used to have a B&M store in Athens in Voulis street (I think) which I visited a few times, nice guys overall and knowledgeable. Their Basma was pure fragrance, smoking it was akin to smoking a blend, that's how much nuance and flavour it had. They closed the physical store in Athens a few years back if I'm not mistaken, then their website was a bit odd - a lot of pushing of heated tobacco, CBD and RYO. It was hard to find the pipe tobacco. In any case the guys in the shop told me they make no money on the pipe blends, they just do it because they love smoking pipes, their cigarette tobacco was the money maker.

I had a big can of it when Wolfway still packaged their blends in the big metal cans - this is 3-4 years ago. I recall it was very good. They advertised - and I read on the card they still do - that it has "Egyptian Latakia". I recall the older offering had 30% of this "Latakia". The cut was much finer, and the blend overall a lot darker than what's in the picture, check out the pic on tobaccoreviews: Tobacco Reviews | Wolfway - Pyramid (Medusa) - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11312/wolfway-pyramid, that's what it used to look like. It's a pity if they changed it, as it was really very good - their straight Burley was also sublime when I had it, the Virginia less so, the Basma phenomenal. Their semi-aromatics too, overall their product was top quality.
I bought a bag of their EE2 blend in the summer which also has this pretty annoying thick cut which I find to worsen the blend, even if it is the same blend it burns differently.

I say "Latakia" above because I'd never heard of Egyptian Latakia, then after doing some digging I found that current "Latakia" is pretty shady, apparently it is grown in Cyprus, then sent to Turkey (and elsewhere?) where it is smoked, then sent back to Cyprus to be packaged as Cypriot Latakia and sent to blenders worldwide (or in reality probably to the US, UK, Denmark and Germany).
I confirm regarding the old version of Pyramid and also the Basma. I didn't buy again because they sell in 150gr packs and I don't smoke much. Perhaps I should have...

Reactions: karam