Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Does anyone here watch the AMC TV Series Mad Men?
(I hardly ever watch TV, let alone follow any shows, with 2 exceptions. I love Mad Men and Two and Half Men.)
Anyway, Mad Men is in it's 3rd season, on tonight, Sunday night at 10 pm & 11 pm (encore) on AMC if you want to check it out. It's a great show set in 1962 this season.
One of the characters on Mad Men, Paul Kinsey, played by Michael Gladis, smokes a pipe.
What is really cool is that he smokes a pipe in real life and is actually smoking real pipe tobacco on the set.

A quote from an interview with him says:
"I actually love smoking a pipe and I'm very happy that Paul does. Does that mean he takes himself too seriously? No. You know what it means? It means he's a man who appreciates quality and he takes time to enjoy the things he enjoys. Cigarette tobacco is so cheap and you're always just sucking them down to get a fix but a pipe is an event...My big goal for season two is that Paul should have more than one pipe because it's not good to smoke the same pipe everyday. It's a nice accessory actually. Is today the bent pipe day or is it the straight stem day? Is it the black pipe or the brown pipe? It could go with the suit. There are all sorts of possibilities."
Background on the show.
It premiered on July 19, 2007 and completed its second season on October 26, 2008. The third season began on August 16, 2009.[1]
Set in New York City, Mad Men begins in 1960 at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue.[2] The show centers on Don Draper (Jon Hamm), the agency's creative director, and those in his life, in and out of the office. It also depicts the changing social mores of 1960s America.
Mad Men has received critical acclaim, particularly for its historical authenticity and visual style, and has won multiple awards, including three Golden Globes, a BAFTA and six Emmys. It is the first basic cable series to win the Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series.
(There's hot chicks on it too.)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That is cool! I am kind of surprised that they let him smoke it though with all of the anti stuff going on. But hopefully we will start seeing more and more of this as time goes on, like in the old days.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The show has won awards and critical acclaim for it's authenticity in portraying the culture and mannerisms of the times as well as having proper sets, props, styles etc.
They have the old manual typewriters in the office, they smoke on airplanes. They smoke and drink constantly in the office during business hours. Each executive has a full bar in his office, along with a couch to take a nap on.
Now that's what I call the good ole days.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Anyone else watch the show Mad Men?
The last show of the season this past Sunday was great. They really left you wanting more.
Here is Michael playing Paul Kinsey.
paul-186x300.jpg

You may want to go see who one of our newest members is by looking at the list on the home page.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Fantastic. I love shows and movies that have pipe smoking. Our noble art. Maybe we are heading for a rebirth. I know guys who started pipe smoking after Lord of the Rings came out. How could some not a appreciate the realism Jeremy Brett brought to the Sherlock Holmes series. In his love of tobacco.
I will watch this show tonight. I look forward to it. Thank you Kevin. Also, great setting for the interview.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
dunendain said: I will watch this show tonight. I look forward to it. Thank you Kevin. Also, great setting for the interview.
They might be showing the re-runs now as the season ended last week. I hope so.I just tried to check on the AMC TV site, but it appears the schedule page is not working. Now shows are coming up for me.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Watched 1st and almost all of 2nd season. My wife and I watch very few U.S. television shows. For the last few years, we've been hooked on British dramas and mysteries. Mostly, because of the realism, and good plots. Mad Men has definitely made us take notice. We love this show. I haven't been glued to any show, like I have to this one, in a long while. Realism, great plot twist, good human drama, and a very genuine early 60s period piece. It takes place during a dramatic time in American history. Fear of the A-bomb, J.F.K.'s election, the beginning of the space race.

The characters on the show, really live it up. Drinking, smoking, eating whatever the hell they wanted. It went with the period. Also, before P.C. has corroded most of our personal rights.

It's a hoot. Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.