PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I had been wanting to try a vanilla aromatic that didn't have the soapy taste of the drugstore blends I'd tried when younger, and had read some good reviews on MacBaren's Vanilla Cream, so ordered some.
I tried it in a new Savinelli Roma Lucite, so, this being a new pipe, not yet broken in, maybe this wasn't the best testing media for a new tobacco.
That being said, my reaction was "Vanilla, what vanilla?" I didn't taste it, didn't smell it; even upon opening the tin there was only the faintest hint of it. Now, it may be that my taste buds are all blown to hell from years of eating spicy SE Asian food, but if there was Vanilla taste or aroma in this blend, it did a great job of hiding.
On the good side, the tobacco, although wet in the tin, smoked pretty dry, and it has an OK room note (although my wife said she certainly didn't smell any vanilla in it).
I'll give it another try in a more broken-in pipe, and see if there's a difference. Meanwhile, have any of you tried it, and what was your impression?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Did you get the Flake or Lose Cut? I have had both and I had the same experience you describe with the lose cut. However, my experience with the flake was very different. The vanilla flavor in the flake was very bold to me at first light and faded as I smoked the bowl. I really enjoyed it and am planning on stocking up on it to see how well it ages.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I got the loose cut - didn't realize there was a flake version. I'll definitely try that - thanks.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Always informative comments by members on here. That is "the gold" about these forums. :D

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I like their Vanilla Cream Flake. Lots of flavors all around and no bite (for me at least).

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I'm all for a good Vanilla aromatic. I have some Prince Albert Soft Vanilla, which is ok, but not the proverbial cat's meow. I'll definitely try some of this MacBaren's as soon as I can get a chance.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Add a little bit of Vanilla Cream into Half&Half and you get a tasty smoke with a very pleasant room note.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I recently bought 1 lb. of the loose cut. I couldn't really get much vanilla taste or smell from it either but it is a good simple smoke. Will be buying more.

Status
Not open for further replies.