PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
In no particular order, and sometimes combined in various ways...
Archery

Fishing (fresh & saltwater flyfishing and surfcasting primarily)

Hunting (mostly upland birds & deer)

Tactical long range precision shooting

Pistol shooting (IDPA competition & tactical handgun)

Shotguns (sporting clays & bird hunting)

Dual sport motorcycles

Mountain biking

Hiking/backpacking & camping

Banjo & guitar

Hi Fi audio

Filipino Martial Arts

Photography

Canoeing (all types, but especially outrigger OC-1 in the ocean)

Ham radio (callsign W6GC)

Flying (private pilot) but no longer active/current
Also without kids, obviously. ;)

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
play football (the one played with feet, quit because of my MCL problems)

heavy metal (old school thrash metal, death metal and black metal, start to love them as teenager and now I dance with stupid grammy pop songs)

turtle pets (I gave all my turtles to a friend long ago coz I had to stay abroad for some years)

photography (my old medium format film cameras are collecting dust on the book shelf)

hi-fi (I mostly use the iPhone earbuds nowadays)
and now pipe smoking, as for the typical trend of my hobbies I guess I'll be clenching a corn cob all day long years later...
the spirit shall not rely on or be confined by anything...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
If I had the time.....
My number one hobby is writing and arranging "classical" music for students and amateurs. Of course I wouldn't mind if professionals played my music, but my goal is put out accessible music for young people and to get them interested in classical music.
I also enjoy playing Baroque and Renaissance instruments, mostly recorders, viols, krummhorns and other noisemakers. I have a treble viola da gamba custom made by Michael Heale in Guildford, England and a cornetto in A by Christopher Monk. My wife makes me play bass in her bluegrass band. It is fun and different. I do enjoy that very much.
Second to music, I enjoy building 1/48th scale model airplanes, particularly planes from WWI and WWII. Then I enjoy flying computer simulations of those aircraft against other players online or computer AI.
Thirdly, I do enjoy pistol shooting. I'd do it more if I had a range closer. Both my wife and I have CHLs and we need the practice.
Of course the pipes are always present as are books. There just isn't enough time for everything!!!
Retirement is about year and 4 months away.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
In rough chronological order:

- Sport: swimming, rugby and javelin throwing (at school – to county [state] level). Then rugby union for Musselburgh and London Irish RUFCs. Now I just watch rugby on the TV, and my exercise is confined to dog walking and horizontal jogging.

- Scouting…….for girls (not recently though!)

- Reading avidly: initially classical SF (Bradbury, Asimov etc), now almost anything – I’ve just finished re-reading all 20 volumes of the Patrick O’Brian series and am in the middle of re-reading all James Elroy’s books (the best crime writer ever, IMO)

- Drinking: I’ve been through beer and whisky phases. Now I drink (and collect) wine, almost exclusively – I have about 4000 bottles cellared. No need to buy wine in retirement!

- Family: my ‘raison d’etre’ – Pauline, Kate-lass, Andrew-lad, Charlotte-lass, I love them all.

- Creative writing (more recently): I got grade A (distinction) in the Open University Creative Writing course in 2012, where apparently my strongest suit was considered poetry – yes, it shocked me too!! I am currently doing the final edit of a newly completed novel.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hmm, besides pipe smoking, eh?
-I am running a 3 year and counting Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e game (core and oriental variant).

-I am an avid video gamer. I host and run a very large Minecraft Server.

-I love to go places with and train my pitbull and my wife's boxer mix. (my pit is search and rescue, both are Canine Good Citizens)

-I love sleeping.

-I love to collect Disney Villain stuff.

-I am an active LARP player (also make LARP weapons), and I also love to cosplay at renaissance faires.

-Driving is one of my favorite things to do. Nice Florida weather with the windows down and music playing is the best.

-Woodworking. The first gift I ever gave my wife when we were dating was a rocking chair I made over a summer we were apart early in the relationship.

Jan 8, 2013
Reading, Im generally always in the middle of a book

Hiking, well, before I messed up my foot, not sure about this summer..

Food, yes food

Occasion gaming, video/ccg/rp

Music, listening, writing lyrics/poetry

Minor woodwork

Craft jewellery making, beads etc

And my favorite, hanging around the house with my wife watching tv or doing nothing at all.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Competing and Judging Labrador Retrievers in AKC Field Trials, saltwater fishing, debating Politics and attending Pro and College Football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.