Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
So I've been thinking... YES! I have a brain. Well depends who you talk to. If you talk to my youngest grandkids they will confirm that I am the smartest person in the universe. On the other hand if you talk to my wife she will, she will, umm, snort. Yeah.

But I digress.
Since I have a drawer full of cast offs, B and C level pipes. Pipes with weird chunks and shapes that I smoke because I feel guilty about throwing them out or giving them to my daughters golden retriever for a chew toy I thought I would do the following.
How about I donate it to someone who would maybe just like to put a bowl or three through it just to see how it smokes and give it a review. An honest, it smokes just fine or this thing is a potato review. Either is good by me.
All I ask is the postage which I can tell you from sending out similar packages it would be $17.52 CAD
If you already have one of my potatoes, I would ask that you please pass on this one and allow a different member to scoop it.

If nobody scoops it I will chuck it my drawer of lost pipes and put a bowl or three through it myself while wrapped in my electric blanket in the dark cold garage murmuring darkly to myself about briar wastage.

Cheers all

Chris

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've listened to several pipe makers on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show with Brian Levine, and;

to a person, they said they were not great in the beginning, often regretting even allowing some of their early work out the front door.

It seems the natural progression is: turds, good shit, exceptional bowel movement
I've watched your progress, Chris, from the beginning, and you were function first right away, which I think showed good instinct.

Your finishing is always very nice too, from the pics I've seen.

I've observed that pipe makers are mostly motivated by the intrinsic beauty of a well crafted utensil, and that overcoming obstacles to achieve such pieces is where the real art lies.

Your turd pipes, Chris, are likely very nice smoking and unique pieces that show your steps forward and stumbles backward as you've developed your understanding of the craft. Therefore, they are potentially priceless examples of 'the beginning' of the legendary C. Besse line.

Enjoy yourself, and continue to share your efforts with us to enjoy as well!

Nice work on the billiard!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
That's a very nice looking pipe. What a grain! I guess you did it from scratch? I'm curious how old was that cube of briar. Is there any information how long had it grown before cut?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Mike, I had some good feedback from the Pro's on the PMF but when you ask for a critique you have to put your big girl panties on and suck it up.

So today I will go to my dwindling supply of briar and go eenie-meenie...
luigi, I get all my briar from a single source. The briar is from Greece and it has been out of the ground for a lot of years. I purchase ebauchon blocks and plateaux blocks.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Dam it Mike, as my technical advisor how many times do I have to tell you not to refer to. My shit as turds? They are potatoes Dam it!

Mind you, most of your advice consists of, " if you'd listened to me in the first place or I hate to say it but I told you so" kind of advice.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
All joking aside; I realize that mastering all the nuances of proper design is much more difficult than what appears at first look. The only way to gain that instinctive ability to just 'know' a shape, a line, a curve is correct takes a great deal of time and practice. And to me that means failing often and to keep trying with each little bit of corrective information as it comes.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Chris all bullsh-t aside. Your making great pipes an offering them at very great prices and are good smokers. Besides yourself I would know more most others. I've smoked all 7 of mine an not a "turd" or bad one in the bunch. I personally want to Thank You for mine.
I would love to get ahold of the ones you throwed in the draw. for work pipes. But I understand where your coming from on giving others a chance. By the way Great Jesture.
A loyal customer for life. James/scrooge

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks for the nod of approval James and I'm glad your seven day set are all smoking just fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.