PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The woody, earthy, floral, spicy, sour, dry, sharp Turkish takes a little of the lead. The very nutty, slightly molasses and moderately cocoa sweet, earthy, woody burley offers a lot of support. The perique provides stewed raisins, figs and plums, and an obvious amount of spice that you will constantly notice more than its other attributes. That spice content almost equals the burley sweetness. The smoky, woody, earthy, musty, sweet Cyprian Latakia often rises above being the fourth star in the proceedings and is more than just a background player. Sometimes, it’s a side stream extra, and other times, a little more than that. The grassy, lightly woody and dark fruity, citrusy Virginia is noticeable in a condimental role. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a couple of steps short of that threshold. No chance of bite or harshness, but it does sport a light rough edge here and there as many blends in this genre will have. While not a true Balkan mixture, it is complex and nuanced as you will observe most of the subtleties in every puff. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a fairly consistent, rich, deep, sweet and spicy, mildly sour, savory flavor that also translates to the pleasant, mildly lingering, lightly tingly, camp fire after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Not quite an all day smoke.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great review. I have never tied Wilke blends, I need to check them out.

They are high quality blends. I've nearly reviewed the entire line. And I think John Brandt does a better job than Carole did. He goes strictly by the recipes so you'll always get a consistent product.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Is there such thing as a True Balkan? If so, how would it be defined?

I am assuming all Balkans are English, but not all English are Balkans.
So many people have different opinions on this subject that I finally decided the distinction isn't a big deal to me. In the case of this blend, it has burley, which generally puts an English/Balkan blend into the "American" English category. That distinction, I feel, is important.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Is there such thing as a True Balkan? If so, how would it be defined?

I am assuming all Balkans are English, but not all English are Balkans.

Yeah, I think that's right. GL Pease wrote about that here and makes a (good, I think) case to just refer to these as "Latakia blends" and maybe further define them as either "Oriental forward" for Balkan-style or "Virginia-forward" for traditional English I think that makes a lot of sense, and I often refer to these blends as Latakia blends, but of course, blenders can and will call them whatever they want, which only makes things more interesting.

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
Jim, I notice that John is using your review on his website to describe the blend. That says a lot about your reviews and Wilke tobacco. Is this blend the same as the old #10, or as good as it was? #10 is my favorite Balkan.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, I notice that John is using your review on his website to describe the blend. That says a lot about your reviews and Wilke tobacco. Is this blend the same as the old #10, or as good as it was? #10 is my favorite Balkan.

I gave John permission to use my reviews. This blend is different from #10, which, despite all the raves over the years, was not a big seller.

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I did not mean to imply that John was using your reviews without your say so, Jim. When #10 was discontinued, I was a little bummed. I still have a half pound jarred up and only smoke it on rare occasions. Based on your review, I think I will try the Balkan blend.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I did not mean to imply that John was using your reviews without your say so, Jim. When #10 was discontinued, I was a little bummed. I still have a half pound jarred up and only smoke it on rare occasions. Based on your review, I think I will try the Balkan blend.

I know you didn't mean to imply anything, buddy. I just took the opportunity to write it in case anybody wondered about it, especially since I was asked about it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.