Jim's Sutliff Pipe Force Episode 1 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Tobacco Pipes says it goes on sale tomorrow.

The musty, mildly sweet Cyprian Latakia provides a wealth of earth, wood, smoke, herbal, vegetation, leather, floralness, and spice. It is the lead component by a small margin. The dark fired Kentucky offers plenty of earth, wood, smoke, floralness, spice, herbs, vegetation, some sour sharpness, peat, vinegary barbecue, and moderate nuttiness in a close, full support role. The Katerini Orientals produce an abundance of earth, wood, herbs, floralness, vegetation, stewed creamy sweet and sour, tart and tangy citrus, spice, some smoke, mild darker fruit and incense as a competitive secondary supporter. A step behind that is the stoved hot pressed Rustica, whose aspects are plenty of earth, wood, sugar, vegetation, herbs, bread, stewed tart and tangy citrus, some peat, spice, mild smoky barbecue, sour bitterness, light cigar, tea, and leather. A mix of Virginias generates a little tart, tangy citrus, vegetative grass, spice, sugar, floralness, bitterly sour, acidic lemon, light tangy dark fruit, earth and wood in the background. The taste is almost full. The strength and nic-hit are a step behind that mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It does sport a few light rough edges. The easily broken apart crumble cake slices are mildly moist, and don’t require much dry time. As always, I did not dry it for my review. Well balanced, zesty, savory and deeply rich with nuanced complexity, it burns cool, clean, and slow with a mostly consistent sweet and sour, spicy, floral, herbal, barbecue, mildly nutty, campfire, lightly bitter flavor that extends to the long lasting after taste. The room note is pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke. I recommend a small to medium bowl at most for this blend. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you Jim, another insightful review

For anyone looking for an announcement on this ones drop, the original release date given when the series was introduce last spring was Jan 17th, but it actually has been postponed for Feb.
Thank you very much for that information. I was feeling that a date change had happened, but I didn't have a way of checking it out.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Thank you for this Information. Do you have a source for that?
Scroll to the bottom of the page

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Scroll to the bottom of the page

That's very interesting. The day I posted the review, it gave January 17 as the release date on that page. That was what I went by. I was wondering about that because I hadn't seen any discussion about it coming out this week, but I went with what I saw. Oh well... doesn't matter. I was going to review it sooner or later.

Briarberg

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Richmond, Virginia
Thank you for this Information. Do you have a source for that?
Very welcome. I'm a content writer for STC Holdings. I just double checked the date with Sutliff and was told Feb 13.
That's very interesting. The day I posted the review, it gave January 17 as the release date on that page. That was what I went by. I was wondering about that because I hadn't seen any discussion about it coming out this week, but I went with what I saw. Oh well... doesn't matter. I was going to review it sooner or later.
I wrote that blog and updated the date when I became aware of the change, though in hindsight should have made note of it—I've gone back and qualified that the releases are accurate as of today's date. Not sure if this pushes back the dates of the remaining 2 blends but will be sure to update if so. Sorry for the confusion!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I received my tins this morning. Just got done weighing them, and three out of the ten would appear to have a coin (the ones presumably with coins are clocking in at 148–150 grams as opposed to 114–116; previous releases with coins were closer to 154 grams, but these are in the right ballpark, as the ones without coins for those earlier releases were around 122 grams); this works out well, as I’ve been able to get a coin for myself and my buddy Chris for every release so far, with the exception of Episode VI—still looking for one coin from that release; maybe I can use the extra Episode I coin to trade for an Episode VI coin somewhere down the road. I guess the patches and stickers were only given away at pipe shows? I haven’t seen any in tins thus far.