Jim's C&D Two Friends Homeward Bound Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. EST.

The matured, bold white burley provides an abundance of earth, wood, nuts, some sour sharpness, mild cocoa, light floralness and spice as the lead component. The dark burley offers some earth, wood, nuts, bread sugar, and light molasses in a full support role. A step behind that are the bright Virginias whose aspects are very tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, floralness, mild sour lemon, spice, and a touch of acidity. The sugary, toasty black cavendish is right behind the brights. The red Virginias produce some tart citrus, tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, grass, bread, mild sugar, light floralness and spice. They compete with the black cavendish for attention. A plethora of toppings that I notice in order of their importance are caramel, vanilla, chocolate, hazelnut, fruity rum, scotch, coconut, coffee, plum and perhaps a couple others that I cannot detect. They moderately tone down the varietals. The strength and nic-hit are a slot past the medium threshold. The taste is a rung past that mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few minute rough edges. It’s mildly moist, but requires no dry time. Well balanced with obvious and subtle complexity, it burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a mostly consistent fruity, sweet, nutty, floral, mildly spicy, sour, zesty, deeply rich flavor that extend to the pleasantly lasting after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. May be an all day smoke for the veteran aro smoker, and is repeatable under any circumstance. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Bought an 8 ounce tin. It is really disappointing, flavorless and ordinary. Do not waste your money on this. There are better burleys...better virginias...better blends with Cavendish tobacco and better aromatics out there...no kidding. As for hazelnut or any other really discernable flavor, don't worry about it because none of it is there.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Bought an 8 ounce tin. It is really disappointing, flavorless and ordinary. Do not waste your money on this. There are better burleys...better virginias...better blends with Cavendish tobacco and better aromatics out there...no kidding. As for hazelnut or any other really discernable flavor, don't worry about it because none of it is there.
It’s interesting what people get out of a blend and how differently we can perceive them.

I got the “big can” as well. I think the tin note is terrific and complex - for me it’s like a good Christmas blend but without the “spice” aspects. Hazelnut? It’s there but subtle to me. More of the caramel/vanilla/fruit (candied not citrusy) and more and I got more out of it than with many aros honestly, but it’s mellow. Full disclosure - I enjoyed it in a brand new Pete from which I had just cleaned it out the bowl coating and towards the end of the bowl I’d lost anything they resembled flavor - my signal to stop and dump it out. I’ll give it a go in a different pipe soon.

Didn’t have the punch of the University Flake I followed it with for sure, but for what it is I liked it enough I’ve ordered another “keg” —- a better version than some of the recent and nominally similar St. Patrick’s Day blends I’ve gotten the past few years and some “Christmas” blends as well - not other worldly, lol, but for what it aims to be it hits the mark very well for me.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Second go this morning in a well used old Pete. Smoking better down through this bowl. I wouldn’t call it “creamy” like the good vanillas. Pairing it with a mocha which is perfect. Kind of a test - the ones with some chocolate/caramel flavor aspects I don’t like can get a little “acrid” for me - having a blend with a mocha can “reveal” that for me so it passes that test. Again, it tells me it’s “done” - and it was, just a few bits in the bottom.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This goes on sale Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. EST.

The matured, bold white burley provides an abundance of earth, wood, nuts, some sour sharpness, mild cocoa, light floralness and spice as the lead component. The dark burley offers some earth, wood, nuts, bread sugar, and light molasses in a full support role. A step behind that are the bright Virginias whose aspects are very tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, floralness, mild sour lemon, spice, and a touch of acidity. The sugary, toasty black cavendish is right behind the brights. The red Virginias produce some tart citrus, tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, grass, bread, mild sugar, light floralness and spice. They compete with the black cavendish for attention. A plethora of toppings that I notice in order of their importance are caramel, vanilla, chocolate, hazelnut, fruity rum, scotch, coconut, coffee, plum and perhaps a couple others that I cannot detect. They moderately tone down the varietals. The strength and nic-hit are a slot past the medium threshold. The taste is a rung past that mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few minute rough edges. It’s mildly moist, but requires no dry time. Well balanced with obvious and subtle complexity, it burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a mostly consistent fruity, sweet, nutty, floral, mildly spicy, sour, zesty, deeply rich flavor that extend to the pleasantly lasting after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. May be an all day smoke for the veteran aro smoker, and is repeatable under any circumstance. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.
I don't believe you. I will have to buy a tin or four to prove you right!!! Sounds like a must have for me.