It's Starting, Folks..The Insurance Demon..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
This is from an article in The Florida Sun Sentinel (Ft Lauderdale) today (07/11/12) concerning anti-smoking policy in Hollywood, FL.
"The policy in Hollywood requires that applicants for city employment have not used tobacco or tobacco products and must sign an affidavit that he or she hasn't used tobacco products within the last year. New employees who sign the affidavit and are caught using tobacco are subject to immediate discharge, the policy says.
Broward County government does not have a nonsmokers' policy, but it imposes a tobacco-use surcharge which requires employees who smoke to identify themselves at open enrollment for health insurance each year. Those who use tobacco pay an additional $20 every two weeks for their health insurance.
Since implementing the surcharge and offering free cessation programs and access to prescriptions and products to quit smoking, Broward County saw a 38 percent reduction in the number of employees who smoke, said Human Resources Director Kevin Kelleher.
Fire departments are required by state law to hire only nonsmokers for safety reasons, but other entities have followed suit. Palm Peach Tax Collector Ann Gannon adopted a nonsmoking work environment policy in 2009. Like Hollywood, new employees are required to sign an affidavit stating that they have not smoked for a year prior to being hired.
In Delray Beach, "the idea came from our budget woes," said City Commissioner Al Jacquet, citing the city struggles with shortfalls for the past several fiscal years. "This alone would help solve our issues."
But at least one city said it didn't work.
North Miami adopted a nonsmoker policy in 1993 but gave it up three years ago, said spokeswoman Pam Solomon.
"At the time we instituted it, it made a difference in the premiums,'' Solomon said. But that is no longer the case.
Solomon added the policy did not affect the city's ability to attract job candidates. However, it did have to fight a lawsuit brought by a potential employee who would not sign the nonsmoking affidavit.
Although a lower court ruled the policy unconstitutional, the Florida Supreme Court in a 5-2 vote later said individuals have no reasonable expectation of privacy about smoking when they are applying for a government job.
Not everyone sees that as good policy.
"Where do you draw the line?" asked Jay Wolfson, professor of public health at the University of South Florida, and a constitutional attorney. "Smoking is a legal behavior and there are a lot of other legal behaviors that cause risks to the population: drinking soda, eating fatty foods, consuming alcohol, sky diving."
Howard Simon, Executive Director of the ACLU of Florida, said that while government agencies have the authority to regulate smoking in public places, it doesn't have the authority to regulate personal decisions.
"Smokers and nonsmokers applying for jobs should be judged on exactly the same criteria — their ability to perform their jobs safely and satisfactorily," Simon said. "We should be as wary of employers becoming privacy-invading 'Big Brothers' as we are vigilant about government crossing that line."
Four out of five Delray Beach city commissioners favor of the policy, but it's not clear yet when or if the city would adopt it.
Jacquet said that although he respects individual freedoms, they only go so far. He said city staffers work for taxpayers, who have the right to be careful about who they hire.
"This is responsible government making tough decisions that would save people money. I need to protect the taxpayers' money," Jacquet said. Hernandez would not say what the impact has been on the city or how much money Hollywood has saved since it implemented the policy."
While it may not be Fascist or Nazi-like behavior, the only conclusion that can be drawn from this (and policies in place with other communities and corporations) is that your ability to obtain and sustain gainful employment will be seriously impacted by the desire of large insurance corporations to positively affect their bottom line. Period. This is what our country is coming to. Do not be lulled into thinking your ability to earn a living may not be compromised because of whether or not you smoke: it will, and already is. Ridiculous? Well, just try to buy a 20 oz bottle of soda in NYC. This type of thing, once accepted by complacent Americans will probably continue to snowball to fat people, gun owners and anyone else insurance companies think will cost them money. And the end result won't just be higher insurance premiums for the "at-risk individual," it will be passed along to employers at a cost so prohibitive they can't afford to hire employees who don't fit the insurance companies preferred profile.
Insurance companies will stick it to us any way they can. They are not our friends. They are in business to make a profit, and there is nothing wrong with making money. But in this instance I feel they are overstepping their bounds, and if we let them continue, they will further harm our society. But again, only if we let them.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm glad I'm retired. The plant where my son works has implemented a new policy also. In 30 days, if you use tobacco products, of any kind, you'll pay 25% more in health insurance. They will be periodically tested by mouth swab. Talk about invasion of privacy....!
I asked his plant manager if that included a full 25% for those that have family coverage, and if they are going to require spouse testing. He couldn't answer my questions. This thing has not even been thoroughly thought out yet!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
While it may not be Fascist or Nazi-like behavior, the only conclusion that can be drawn from this (and policies in place with other communities and corporations) is that your ability to obtain and sustain gainful employment will be seriously impacted by the desire of large insurance corporations to positively affect their bottom line. Period. This is what our country is coming to. Do not be lulled into thinking your ability to earn a living may not be compromised because of whether or not you smoke: it will, and already is. Ridiculous? Well, just try to buy a 20 oz bottle of soda in NYC. This type of thing, once accepted by complacent Americans will probably continue to snowball to fat people, gun owners and anyone else insurance companies think will cost them money. And the end result won't just be higher insurance premiums for the "at-risk individual," it will be passed along to employers at a cost so prohibitive they can't afford to hire employees who don't fit the insurance companies preferred profile.
Insurance companies will stick it to us any way they can. They are not our friends. They are in business to make a profit, and there is nothing wrong with making money. But in this instance I feel they are overstepping their bounds, and if we let them continue, they will further harm our society. But again, only if we let them.
Exactly the same thing I've been ranting on with my recent Life Insurance fiasco. They must remain in Control to insure their profits, and will do anything the Sheeple let them get away with....random blood and urine tests, etc., that's what's in the future.

AND ANOTHER THING
:evil:

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Both Canada and USA are losing their freedoms bit by bit. My Dad (passed away now)spent 5 years in Canadian airforce WWII and I wonder sometimes if he was still alive what he would think about those 5yrs defending freedoms we are losing anyway

highstump

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2010
Same thing with state employees here in Oregon. I work for the department of transportation and starting 2012 I pay an extra $20 a month for my health insurance. There is no testing for tobacco use and some folks are just going to lie about it. I see the problem there being if they ever have a health issue even remotely related to tobacco the carrier itn't going to pay.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
My insurance states: "You are considered a tobacco user if you have smoked more than 5 times in 3 months." Any allowance is permission. What does "time" actually mean? It takes a long "time" for me to smoke one tin of tobacco...so I shouldnt have a problem... just thinking like a lawyer.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
The whole thing makes me sick. One thing stuck out though, wouldnt a fire department be the safest place to smoke in town? Crazyness. Its feel goodism sounds great to say but has 0 thought behind it.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Most health insurance plans have raised rates for smokers for quite a while now. First time I heard about it was about in 2006. Depending on the company size in the survey, it was anywhere from 10% to 40% of companies surveyed that started adding a premium for smokers. It is now becoming more and more standard practice for employers to pass those increased costs through to their employees. Last year, once again depending on the survey and the companies, it was anywhere from 20% to 60% of companies. Additional premiums varied from $300 to $2,000 per year. Get used to it becoming more prevalent. The Federal Health Care law allows companies to charge 20% of the total annual insurance premium to employees if they "fail to meet certain standards". That goes up to 40% by 2014.
In laymen's terms: If the additional cost for your health insurance is $1,000, the company can make you pay $200 of that. Which can go up to $400 by 2014.
Next on the list... obesity... Just a matter of finding the legal loopholes to ask people to "Self-disclose".
The American health insurance system is driven by economics. The share price of two large health insurance companies has gone up about 3.5 times in the last 10 years ($11 to $ 37 and $21 to $55 respectively). Market indices have gone up about 1.5 to 2. Are you looking for companies to invest in ? Health Insurance companies are quite stable.
I guess I now shared a bit of what I do for a living ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.