PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Today was a meeting of the Los Angeles Pipe Club at the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks. It was a relatively small meeting, and I brought along the sample of the STP blends for the attendees to sample. We had a new member, who had just joined up, and in the course of conversation he asked if I knew where he could find any Penzance. Okay, okay, but this isn't about Penzance. I replied that it was one of those hard to find small production blends that everyone is chasing and his best bet was to call around to some B&M's to see if there was any in stock. The evening went on with very enjoyable conversation and much sharing of various tobaccos.
It was getting late, and I hadn't bought anything on this visit and wasn't planning to do so, but I felt an obligation to spend a little money there on this visit, so I went up to the counter and bought a Coke and some pipe cleaners. I glanced at the shelves of tobaccos, spotted two remaining bags of Esoterica product on the bottom shelf that I knew about, and was about to return to my friends when I noticed a large dusty box on the floor in front of the shelves that appeared to have tins of tobacco in it. I'm the kind of guy that can't resist trying the handle on a closed door when I'm in a public place, like the Griffith Observatory or a museum. I'm curious about what's behind the door.
Casually opening the box and spying the bags of Esoterica product, I asked the guy at the counter what the story was on the box and he replied that it was stock that they hadn't yet had time to price. Pulling out the bag of Penzance and the tins of Penzance, as well as some Margate, I asked if he minded if I took a look. By the time he replied, I had the Penzance, Margate, And So To Bed, along with Pembroke and Peacehaven, and what all, on the counter and was signaling to the fellow who had earlier asked me about Penzance, to come over. Needless to say, he was a very happy and grateful camper. I took some home, he took some home and other members of the club helped themselves to bags and tins.
Good meeting.
Pays to look.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Good point online trailers have a tendency to run out of stock on these popular blends but people don't tend to think to go to local B&Ms were this stuff probably has been there for some time.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Awesome story! I was lucky enough to score some Penzance from my local B&M as well this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.