PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
And, malting is a process that is not exclusive to barley, though for some reason it seems to be in the public mind. It's basically a way of increasing the available sugars in the grain by soaking, then drying/toasting. Most malted barley in Scotland is dried using peat, which impregnates the grains with that characteristic smokey flavor that the OP probably finds disagreeable. Here's a good article that both talks about malting and provides some good leads for Scotch whiskey that is not peaty.
Its a misconceptions that most scotch is peated. The vast bulk of scotch available is unpeated. The article compares whiskies and tries to say that unpeated Bruichladdich and Tobermory have a perceptible pettiness, through the water. I haven't met anyone that can claim to detect peaty water in whisky. The article mentions Bruichladdich and Tobermory are certainly more robust whiskies. Differences will be due to production methods rather than apparent peat detected in the water. The Bruichladdich and Tobermory are both bottled at higher abv's and are nlt chill filtered. Glengoyne and Auchentoshan are more entry level whiskies, and gentle due to this. A huge factor in Auchentoshans gentle flavour will be due to triple distillation similar to Irish whiskey, however extremely uncommon in Scotland.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Its a misconceptions that most scotch is peated. The vast bulk of scotch available is unpeated. The article compares whiskies and tries to say that unpeated Bruichladdich and Tobermory have a perceptible pettiness, through the water. I haven't met anyone that can claim to detect peaty water in whisky. The article mentions Bruichladdich and Tobermory are certainly more robust whiskies. Differences will be due to production methods rather than apparent peat detected in the water. The Bruichladdich and Tobermory are both bottled at higher abv's and are nlt chill filtered. Glengoyne and Auchentoshan are more entry level whiskies, and gentle due to this. A huge factor in Auchentoshans gentle flavour will be due to triple distillation similar to Irish whiskey, however extremely uncommon in Scotland.

I could be wrong, but I would only argue that the characteristic smokey flavor inherent in the majority of Scotch whiskies is a result of the use of peated malt, in whatever percentage the individual distillery chooses to include in their final product. I expect most Scotch to express that flavor to some degree or another.

I mentioned Lowlands because they are known to not express that smokey flavor, as they apparently don't use peat in the malting process.

As to Auchentoshan being an 'entry level' product, I'd disagree; it's a well-regarded example of the Lowland style (of which there are very few choices) and available in bottlings of 12, 18, and 21 years, if one is interested in paying for that sort of thing. Of the Lowlands, I've only ever had Auchentoshen and Glenkinchie whiskies, and found them both to be delicious and refreshing in their brighter, more delicately sweet flavor profiles. Cheers!

Reactions: Old_Newby

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I am the OP and just wanted everyone to know I appreciate all the feedback and info. I definitely have a lot to try. Since posting I have tried Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch and like it. For now that is as malty / peaty as I want to go. I love that cool crisp mouth feel and fruitiness of Irish and Scotch. It’s like drinking fruit juice after Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 Proof.

I now have Powers Gold Label, Jamesons. and my son gave me Proper 12 because he did not like it. I like all 3. I will eventually try ReadBreast 12, Quinta Ruban, and Green Spot at a bar because they are $60+ a bottle. I plan to purchase Bushmills White, Tullimore Dew, and WestCork Bourbon Cask cause I can get all 3 for less than $25 a bottle. I still have to buy tobacco and bourbon too. 🤠

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I don't know how in the world I missed this thread...

Lots of good recommendations have been made. I myself agree, Red B but Breast and Powers are my go-tos.

Powers is the number one selling whiskey in Ireland and I generally have a bottle on hand. Red Breast is more of my celebratory, special occasion whiskey.

Another few Irish whiskies I enjoy are; Glendalough double barrel, Sexton single malt & Tullamore D.E.W.