PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yes this is one of the three pipes I recently bought. The first was the Peterson Kapp Royal, this is an interesting (at least to me) Sir Philip, Made in England by Ben Wade. Has some nice grain, in spite of a couple of little burn spots. Not sure what the Sir Philip designation is, or why it says made by Ben Wade, or what the shape number means. I know that several companies made their pipes, but have no way of knowing who made what. Maybe someone will have some ideas.
img_01451-600x336.jpg

img_0146-600x322.jpg

img_0156-600x441.jpg

img_01541-600x443.jpg

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
With Ben Wades, it so hard to know for sure.

That being said, I've collected many examples of the 'made in leeds' era of BWs, and, also some from just after that era, in which the nomenclature changed. They dropped using the 'made in leeds' stamp. The logo itself also changed. Some history buffs say this change may have been due to the bombing of Leeds [and the BW factory] in WWII and that consequently, the factory was re-built in another town, or at the very least, the stamps were destroyed...
There's a lot of legend in our hobby. But i love dem old british pipes.
Here is a link you will want to check out:

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-benwade.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pot is a utilitarian design, but when they are done with flair and attention, they can be show stoppers; you have one of those!

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Thats right Londonmaker, but it seems to be an old fellow.

For your collection of BW stamps.I have in my unused stock - on the lilac box George - crown -Elizabeth-

under that Coronation Briar.

The pipe is a medium sized billiard, mahogany colour.

It is stamped B.W.L. in not circles but more in bubbeles over Coronation.A dry stamped crown on the mouthpiece.

The other side Made in Leeds over England and 3W.......and there is stamped something I cannot see what are,

a little tree maybe.

From 1953 I should think.

Jorgen

Status
Not open for further replies.