PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
The Makhuwa I bought in 2019 was shockingly bad. Unrecognizable. It used to taste like a smooth creamy chocolate malt. The 2019 was sour to the extent that it had any flavor at all. I haven't tried it since, and as I don't need to buy any more tobacco, I doubt I'll be giving it a another shot. K&K really screwed the pooch with that one.
Hans wouldn't shift the blame. He's a very honest man, and I've gotten to know him pretty well the last seven years. He was surprised and a bit distressed that Directors Cut had been changed, but he also said it was selling very well.

As for K&K, they've changed some blends in the past couple of years. Many of the Astley's and Peter Heinrichs blends have under gone changes. They lessened the topping of HU Makuwa and HU 4th Anniversary, as well.
This would be an interesting thread or article I have been following a lot of the CHANGED reviews, it would be nice to have a breakdown list for those of us who like to hunt down the OG and compare the new stuff.
As was mentioned about tobaccos going the way of Syrian Latakia I'm wondering if maybe some of it is not a price but a source issue.
For instance, besides Perique being switched out for DF are other easier-to-acquire/cheaper Orientals being substituted for say Yenidje?
And so on and so forth, I mean how deep does the rabbit hole go?

Reactions: JimInks

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And so on and so forth, I mean how deep does the rabbit hole go?
Deep enough to crawl up its own butt.

Sourcing has been an issue that has caused a number of blends to take a hiatus. Motzek Strang lost a key farm that provided the wrapper. They went into growing something else for a few years. Then they went back to growing tobacco and Motzek Strang went back into production. Only, it didn't really, because the blend has been changed, resulting in Motzek Strangled rather than Motzek Strang, a simplified dumbed down version of the Motzek product. It's not a bad blend, it's no longer a great one.
One thing I like about Ernie at Watch City is that he's not interested in compromising his blends. If he can't find the components he takes the blend out of the line up.