How to differentiate Astley pipes made by Charatan, by Dunhill or by Ashton?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

francli

Lurker
Feb 2, 2023
Masters! Could you please share with me your experience how to differentiate Astley pipes made by Charatan, by Dunhill or by Ashton?

Wild chicken

Lurker
Jan 11, 2023
Shapes of bowl and shank, mouthpiece. I think it's depend on experience. I have lots of astley's pipes. And love to help you if post your pics.

Wild chicken

Lurker
Jan 11, 2023
Unfortunately, a number of Astley's stamped pipes were faked. So a picture would be essential to determine if your pipe is the real I've heard that before
I've heard that before. And saw some of the examples. They are rough in workmanship. Strangely, where they found the "astley" steel seal? Did the steel seal was stolen. Or they made a new one?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As far as I know shaping (of stummel, stem, and bit) and style are about all you have to go on. I do know some of the ones made by Les Wood (of Ferndown fame) do have his usual “LJS” stamped on the silver adornments though, FWIW.

There are almost certainly many folks here with more Astley’s and/or britwood knowledge than I though! Would be cool if there were a more reliable way to tell for sure!

Wild chicken

Lurker
Jan 11, 2023
As far as I know shaping (of stummel, stem, and bit) and style are about all you have to go on. I do know some of the ones made by Les Wood (of Ferndown fame) do have his usual “LJS” stamped on the silver adornments though, FWIW.

There are almost certainly many folks here with more Astley’s and/or britwood knowledge than I though! Would be cool if there were a more reliable way to tell for sure!
The same question: How to differentiate fribourg &treyer pipes?
I think it more difficult than astley's pipes.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Generally it's best in the absence of other criteria to rely on shape and shape number to attempt to ascribe a maker.

In terms of Astleys, I tend to seek out the earlier double-flanged "A" stamp that predated Upshall (and Ezrati's) ownership. Ken Barnes told a group of us once on a Zoom call: "We owned the Astleys rights and stamps. If we stamped a pipe, it was an Astleys!"

1000016642.jpg

1000016643.jpg

And the "Ezrati stamp" below...
1000016644.jpg