PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

thirdguess

Lurker
Sep 29, 2019
Chicagoland
There's a brief moment in the TV show 'happy' with one of the baddies wearing a bright red Christmas sweater and smoking a nice looking piece. It probably wasn't, but from the distant view it kind of looked vaguely like a castello sea rock.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
"King Solomon's Mine". Stuart Granger leads Deborah Kerr on safari in this movie version of the classic adventure novel. Granger carries his pipe in a ammo loop on his safari jacket and in many scenes he smokes his pipe. Growing up I planned on being Alan Quatermain when I grew up. Didn't work out that way except for the pipe.

Reactions: bnichols23
Jun 9, 2018
England
There's a film I suspect most of you have never even heard of let alone seen (I don't say that pompously, just that it's quintessentially British) called Till Death Us Do Part, in which the main character Alf Garnett has a pipe on the go in pretty much every scene. Not knowledgable enough to identify it yet, though. Over to you chaps.
2val63s.png

dzc744.png

33xf24k.png
There's a film I suspect most of you have never even heard of let alone seen (I don't say that pompously, just that it's quintessentially British) called Till Death Us Do Part, in which the main character Alf Garnett has a pipe on the go in pretty much every scene. Not knowledgable enough to identify it yet, though. Over to you chaps.
2val63s.png

dzc744.png

33xf24k.png

Till Death us do part was not only a film but also a long running series throughout the 60s and 70s, the series All In The Family was the American version made afterwards although I've never watched it.
I do however have all the surviving episodes on dvd of TDUDP (as well as pretty much every uk comedy series from the 1970's) and Alf has a pipe on the go in many many episodes.
Here is a link to a particularly funny clip where a nonplused home help doesn't like the fact Alf is puffing on his filthy old pipe while she's doing the cleaning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think pipe smoking in movies is much more of a challenge today when so few people have either smoked a pipe or seen someone do it. If you watch pipe smoking in current movies, if you can find any, you may find that the actor does not know what he or she is doing. Since it is something of an art, lack of knowhow shows immediately. My dad smoked from just after breakfast until bedtime with time out for meals, so when I finally bought a pipe in my mid-thirties, the moves had been deeply imprinted. Not much of a learning curve. Maybe one of us could get a job in Hollywood coaching actors on how to smoke a pipe, one of those niche contractor gigs. 'sable, please consult.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Here is a link to the awesome Hammer film The Hound Of The Baskervilles starring the late great Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee (Star Wars anyone?) who also happened to be best friends in real life.
It has one scene where Holmes is ruminating over the case and says to Watson he needs some more tobacco as 'this I think is a 2 pipe problem'.
Anyway it's a classic film (in my eyes anyway) and well worth a watch, the bit with the big scary spider slowly climbing up a terrified Sir Henry Baskerville's arm as he stands there frozen with terror and then Holme's over the top dispatching of said spider with his cane is particularly (if unintentionally) funny.
It's the full movie for free on YouTube and the upload quality lookes pretty good as well.

Chris.

Reactions: Bengel

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Just finished season 2 of "The Son" which aired on AMC. The first few episodes features lots of pipe and cigar smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think cigar smoking is a little more familiar with some celebrity cigar people in plain view. There's plenty to be learned with cigars, but there are more "teachers." An acquaintance made big points with his future father-in-law by knowing how to smoke a fine cigar. It was a point of respect.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I think pipe smoking in movies is much more of a challenge today when so few people have either smoked a pipe or seen someone do it. If you watch pipe smoking in current movies, if you can find any, you may find that the actor does not know what he or she is doing. Since it is something of an art, lack of knowhow shows immediately. My dad smoked from just after breakfast until bedtime with time out for meals, so when I finally bought a pipe in my mid-thirties, the moves had been deeply imprinted. Not much of a learning curve. Maybe one of us could get a job in Hollywood coaching actors on how to smoke a pipe, one of those niche contractor gigs. 'sable, please consult.

Of the 2 movies/tv shows I provided links to in my previous posts one actor did smoke a pipe in real life and one didn't.
Warren Mitchell (Alf Garnet) did smoke in real life (he was Pipe Smoker of the year 1967) and you can definitely tell he's used to handling a pipe and it's second nature to him.
On the other hand Peter Cushing (Sherlock Holmes) didn't smoke however he's very convincing in the film and I looked it up on Google expecting to find he was a smoker but that wasn't the case and apparently he detested it.
He was a very good actor and apparently he disliked puffing on the pipe so much he always had a glass of milk handy to remove the taste of tobacco after each shot.

Chris.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Lord of the Rings. Maybe it's because the smoking there is so fanciful that it bears no direct relation to what we think of when we hear about "pipe smoking."

"The finest pipe weed in the Southfarthing…"

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Not a movie still, but my favorite art from the 70s

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Lord of the Rings. Maybe it's because the smoking there is so fanciful that it bears no direct relation to what we think of when we hear about "pipe smoking."

"The finest pipe weed in the Southfarthing…"

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
There is also Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.
There was a previous thread regarding the pipe in the movie:

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bengel

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's Ms. Peregrine keepin' it smoky.

I had just gotten a 4K TV, and was seeing if I could capture decent snaps of it. Notice the artifacts in and around the mirror!

I0BU9UG.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Templekeeper

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
The scene with Bing Crosby using a pipe to tap on bells just seems to be forefront in my mind. I am not sure if that was White Christmas or Holiday Inn though.
I believe it's White Christmas. Scene with him standing outside pondering life lighting matches with his thumbnail. The inspiration behind a couple of burns on my thumb from phosphorus sticking under my fingernail :LOL:

Reactions: Sjmiller CPG