PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
It was a warm winter evening.
I burned my mouth as I had done many times before.
But this time was different.
For my taste was no more.

They said smoke slow. I said
"Hell no,"
So and so chirped,
"You're smoking too fast.
A cadence like that? Boy, You'll never last."

I toasted my tongue.
Mucus membranes included,
I knew then it was truth
To which they alluded.
Egad!

Less pressure in: pack,
Tamp-draw, and lip smack,
My pipe tea gained wings,
And to bliss
I was back.

-------

Thanks everyone who educated me about palate fatigue and the effects of repeated tongue bite. It's been like 4 days of research and I learned the error of my ways. I was chasing the white goddess, trying to rush the color of my meer and scorching tobaccos. There is no rushing in this hobby, except on your way out of it. The movies lied to me..for shame! Billows are not the way to go. Sipping and light tamping has changed the game for me. Now I have to revisit the 20+ blends I scorched in my beginning phase. Wooooooooo!

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im newly returned to the pipe. One other piece of info I very recently learned: Be careful puffing if you are also clenching. Its an easy way to singe your tongue. I did it recently working on the computer. DUH!

As for speed, I dont know your pipes but typically most pipes can easily take 45-60 minutes to smoke. Some folks longer but Im not a slow smoker. Im a bit on the hyper side. The half hour you were taking is uber fast. Relax and enjoy.

Reactions: JOHN72 and PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
For me to avoid this while getting back into pipes and leaving cigarettes for good a higher nic blend really helped. It forced me to slow down and with the right nicotine levels I didn’t subconsciously chug away.
This allowed me to simply relax and smoke while not chasing a fix.
In other words I was treating the pipe like a 10 min cigarette and tossing it to the side until the urge hit again. I still do that with the first pipe in the morning intentionally but not during the rest of the day!

Reactions: JOHN72 and Sigmund

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Im newly returned to the pipe. One other piece of info I very recently learned: Be careful puffing if you are also clenching. Its an easy way to singe your tongue. I did it recently working on the computer. DUH!

As for speed, I dont know your pipes but typically most pipes can easily take 45-60 minutes to smoke. Some folks longer but Im not a slow smoker. Im a bit on the hyper side. The half hour you were taking is uber fast. Relax and enjoy.
A bowl that normally lasted me 10-15 minutes lasted an hour while I wrote that post last night. Puffing doesn't work for me anymore:(

• Wow
Reactions: Coreios and PaulRVA

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
It was a warm winter evening.
I burned my mouth as I had done many times before.
But this time was different.
For my taste was no more.

They said smoke slow. I said
"Hell no,"
So and so chirped,
"You're smoking too fast.
A cadence like that? Boy, You'll never last."

I toasted my tongue.
Mucus membranes included,
I knew then it was truth
To which they alluded.
Egad!

Less pressure in: pack,
Tamp-draw, and lip smack,
My pipe tea gained wings,
And to bliss
I was back.

-------

Thanks everyone who educated me about palate fatigue and the effects of repeated tongue bite. It's been like 4 days of research and I learned the error of my ways. I was chasing the white goddess, trying to rush the color of my meer and scorching tobaccos. There is no rushing in this hobby, except on your way out of it. The movies lied to me..for shame! Billows are not the way to go. Sipping and light tamping has changed the game for me. Now I have to revisit the 20+ blends I scorched in my beginning phase. Wooooooooo!
Brilliant—and witty! That poem should be a stickie in the Beginner's Forum.

Reactions: Leomania