PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Bill Roberts put together an excellent review of the new G.L. Pease Géométrie Pipe Tobacco. With Basma, Izmir, and Red Virginia tobaccos there are all kinds of nuances of flavors and aromas that tell you what pipe smoking is all about. If you already have some, light it up and give this a read. If you don't, after reading this, you'll want some.

G.L. Pease géométrie Review

GL-Pease-geometrie-tobacco.jpg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I've had a handful of bowls of this blend, each one a couple weeks or more apart. I keep hoping the next smoke will impress me more. I will say, I switched pipe sizes and enjoyed it last time from a smaller bowl.
I'm not giving up on it, but so far I'm not scurrying to buy more tins.
Now Temple Bar....

Reactions: Tom-202

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
It's a mild smoke for sure--no grand explosions of flavor--and perhaps I should have expressed that more in relation to other smokes. I also neglected to comment on the room note (mild also). But like @MikeDub mentions, the way the complexion changed after opening speaks of the expected quality of leaf and thoughtfulness of proportion and preparation Greg puts into his art. Personally I thought it was pretty wonderful from the get go; but then again, I like mild-side smokes in general, and particularly when it's this hot. I anticipate a lot of deepening of flavors with some age on it, maybe a bit more sweetness (but not a lot--not like a McCranie's red or Xmas Cheer that's been sitting for a decade). The heart of this blend is, I think, in the Orientals, and letting them shine as nuanced, complex ingredients. And I just LOVE Basma leaf, it really hits my palate well.
Also, who is Fred?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I've had a handful of bowls of this blend, each one a couple weeks or more apart. I keep hoping the next smoke will impress me more. I will say, I switched pipe sizes and enjoyed it last time from a smaller bowl.
I'm not giving up on it, but so far I'm not scurrying to buy more tins.
Now Temple Bar....
I have always found Orientals sing better in smaller bowls myself, the difference between Presbyterian in a wide shallow bowl vs a narrow deeper bowl is uncanny.