PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarghith

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
(copying and pasting from my post on reddit, which did not get any responses :( )
Hey guys, kind of new to pipe smoking, but I've been admiring pipes for years. Today, as I was walking around my town, I stumbled upon this pipe! WHAT.
Anyway, can someone help with identifying this pipe/tell me how I should go about restoring it? The stem is a little loose, but I assume that can be fixed, right?

Thank in advance for the help! :)
http://imgur.com/a/Zeu69

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is there a stamp? It looks a little like a French Ewa of days gone by. Slender, churchwarden, that's what

they do. I'll leave the rehab to the resto guys.

blarghith

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
Alright, got some tips on Reddit, and also looked up some tips.
I buffed the stem with a magic eraser and then with some tp. Then I cleaned the inside of the stem with some pipe cleaners, one dipped in alcohol. Smells better, looks better. :)
After lunch, gonna try it. Now if only I had some Frog Morton to go in it... :P
Edit: Found a marking! Just simply reads "Italy".

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That should clean up nicely. There are a boatload of threads here on cleaning up estate pipes, and more than a few good youtube videos. Essentially, you're going to want to:
1) Ream the cake back to less than a dime's thickness, and then do a light sand to the interior of the bowl (I use 200 grit). Some guys go back to bare wood, I don't.

2) Soak the stem in OxyClean and water to lift oxidation to the surface of the ebonite.

3) Rinse stem thoroughly and dry it. Clean the inside of the stem with a bristle cleaners or a nylon bristle brush of some sort. It's a warden stem so you'll need LONG cleaners or brushes.

4) Starting with a magic eraser and working up through micro mesh pads, remove the oxidation from the stem and polish it.

5) Clean the exterior of the bowl. On a smooth bowl I use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. If the thing is filthy, consider acetone.

6) Clean the rim of the bowl. Wet a tea towel with distilled water. Set the bowl, rim down, on top of the towel for three minutes. Then use the damp towel to remove the tars and oils from the top of the bowl.

7) Clean the interior of the bowl. Salt & Alcohol treatments to start, perhaps retorts if the pipe is really nasty.

8) You're now smokeable. You could use a buffing wheel, or buffing compounds, to polish the bowl and the stem. But that's an aesthetic call.
Hope that helps,
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.