PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
There are a plethora of threads discussing this very issue, you may want to look them up in addition to what you gather here.
I've found myself using a Zippo with pipe lighter insert most often recently.
I haven't noticed any particular flavor from it, but you might be able to get a different perspective from others.

chlorophil7

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2015
Thanks guys! I did not think to search the topic, I'm sorry to have created an extra one.
~Philip

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I prefer a zippo, I find no taste transfer. However when I first started smoking pipes I did not have a zippo and used matches. Honestly never liked the matches. I felt they did transfer an odd taste.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I dislike the chemical taste that lighter fluid imparts on some mild blends, so I can't recommend a zippo type lighter.
Some say that a BIC type tighter burns too hot, but I am careful not to overheat my fine tobacco.
Matches are not environmentally smart as they encourage the destruction of old growth timber and forest lands.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Zippo pipe lighter with Zippo fluid. The Zippo fluid is worth the extra cost. Some, for sure, are going to find the taste objectionable as they might have more refined palates or are sensitive to the lighter fluid. I don't like the taste of matches. 20 years ago, I quit a 20 year non-tobacco daily smoking habit, I "smoked" a lot, and often, so I know my way around matches, Bics, butane, whatever. The Zippo pipe lighter and matches cause the least collateral damage to the pipe. The Zippo works best in all conditions. Find your choice of fire as I own no Zippo stock.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Indoor:

by convenience - zippo > butane > matches

by tastiness - matches > butane > zippo

by precision - matches > butane > zippo
So I mostly walk the middle-way, i.e. butane.
Outdoor:

torch butane > zippo

I've got boxes of matches, several zippos, and a whole bunch of Dunhill, Corona, Colibri, Pipeline, and Lotus pipe lighters. But, I tend to grab a Bic most often, because once a lighter runs out of fluid or flints, I find that the ease of just grabbing a Bic lighter to be easier than maintaining an expensive piece of crap. I don't mind the odors of fluids or the matches. I also don't notice a significant difference in the way it makes my tobaccos taste. There may be some insignificant nuance, but not enough to dissuade me from using any of these fire starters. But, for the most part a nice expensive lighter will run out of fluid or flint while I am out and about, whereas, everywhere I go I can find a Bic.
The nice lighters look nice on my rack, and when I go to pipe club meeting, I may may take one down and fill it just to take along with me. But, for the most part, I prefer to just carefully use a Bic. Unless I am at a campfire, where I can just grab a twig and light my pipe.
I think it's cool that others can keep their reusable lighters maintained. I respect the heck out of that, but for me the tried a true Bic is what I get my fire going. However, even still, if I see a cool pipe lighter, I will buy it. But, I know that keeping fluids and flints and constantly filling these things is just a waste of my time and an inconvenience that gets in the way of my smoking. But, that's just me.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I prefer a flaming log from a good campfire but settle on matches or pipe lighter from my B+M when no fire available.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
swmbo gifted me a zippo pipe lighter for christmas...a great lighter, but it can leave a petroleum taste if I don't let it burn for a second or two before the charring light...that said, it's handy when I'm outside, either on the boat or grilling or for the times we go places.
otherwise, it sits on the sill of the kitchen window by the door...fiddling with flints and fuel make the bic an all too attractive option.

true story, I was setting in a cigar lounge a month or so back, waiting for a poker game to start. I pack my pipe and lay out my items of ritual, which has all of the cigar guys, about thirty of them walking about, looking over my shoulder and asking me questions. I'm trying to look all cool and suave with my pipe, which is far superior to these cigar sticks that even a monkey could figure out how to use.

Then I grab my Old Boy, strike, strike... strike, strike... out of fluid. So, there I am, a representative of the pipe community come to display my debonair sense of style to the heathens... I take out my gas, the room is darkened, so I just can't get this to fill. So, I take out the Zippo, strike, strike... crap... I take the damned thing apart, get fluid all over my fingers, and get it back together. Then I catch my damned hand on fire. It doesn't hurt at all, as the gas burns cold as it burns off of my hand. But, I end up shoving everything back into my pipe bag and buying a cigar, and a guy laughs as he leans in to light it for me with his disposable torch. I rarely put anything besides a Bic in my pipe bag now.

Status
Not open for further replies.