Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
A3414DCE-D7C4-4631-9BC3-C3D2D791AF0E.jpeg
I’ve been collecting Loewe pipes for a decade now. Any of you who are on the hunt with me know how hard they can be to find, especially the pre-1954 Haymarket era examples. I’ve let a couple of them go here and there, so this is the first time that I’ve had 7 at once.
From the Top:
-a blasted “Molesworth” LB Billiard

- a Centurion “Rhodes“ saucer bulldog.
(The Centurion line was supposedly made with 100-year old briar, BUT I’ve noticed that they all seem to really just have flawless cross-grain and lots of birdseye)

-a blasted “Block” bulldog that I was fortunate enough to obtain when it was yet unsmoked.

-an Original “Faulkland” billiard I scored 4 years ago at the STL show for $$30 from Great Estate Pipes’ table.

-an unsmoked panel nosewarmer billiard.
This is probably the oldest one here, other than maybe the Nairn. It has neither a shape nor a line name. It is super cool and I don’t know if I’m going to be able to bring myself to smoke it. (Smooth pipe curse).

-a Process “Ware” bent Rhodesian with incredible grain.

-a “Nairn” flat-shanked Liverpool with fantastic grain that smokes like a champ.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
View attachment 203461
I’ve been collecting Loewe pipes for a decade now. Any of you who are on the hunt with me know how hard they can be to find, especially the pre-1954 Haymarket era examples. I’ve let a couple of them go here and there, so this is the first time that I’ve had 7 at once.
From the Top:
-a blasted “Molesworth” LB Billiard

- a Centurion “Rhodes“ saucer bulldog.
(The Centurion line was supposedly made with 100-year old briar, BUT I’ve noticed that they all seem to really just have flawless cross-grain and lots of birdseye)

-a blasted “Block” bulldog that I was fortunate enough to obtain when it was yet unsmoked.

-an Original “Faulkland” billiard I scored 4 years ago at the STL show for $$30 from Great Estate Pipes’ table.

-an unsmoked panel nosewarmer billiard.
This is probably the oldest one here, other than maybe the Nairn. It has neither a shape nor a line name. It is super cool and I don’t know if I’m going to be able to bring myself to smoke it. (Smooth pipe curse).

-a Process “Ware” bent Rhodesian with incredible grain.

-a “Nairn” flat-shanked Liverpool with fantastic grain that smokes like a champ.
That’s a GREAT set! Thanks for sharing

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into finding a set like that. We don't see many Loewe pieces these days. The only Loewe collector I remember was member "Cake & Dottle" (Mike Lankford?) He had a great website highlighting that brand, but he seems to have disappeared.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into finding a set like that. We don't see many Loewe pieces these days. The only Loewe collector I remember was member "Cake & Dottle" (Mike Lankford?) He had a great website highlighting that brand, but he seems to have disappeared.
YES! I met Mike at the Chicago show before and we gushed over Loewe pipes for a while. His site was by FAR the best info on them, some of which was better than the gathered material in the Loewe Packet.
The only thing I really dig that are more rare are the Leed’s Ben Wades. I have ONE. Always looking for more.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Great Collection! I wish you as much pleasure smoking all those beauties as you did hunting for them (the thrill of the chase is hard to beat, but I'm sure you will manage to!). Particularly love that chubby bent Rhodesian!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Lovely set bro. Really digging the nose warmer. Does it have the common Loewe London W. Nomenclature on the RH shank?

Only reason I ask, is that while there are exceptions, almost all of the Loewe I have seen without a shape name have been early 20s at the latest (using hallmarks). The exception being one which @bayareabriar had last year

As for Ben Wade Leeds. I may know a guy. Drop me a line sometime 🤙🏼

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Congrats on the completion of a beautiful set. Enjoy!

PS
Please put your location in your Profile!
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
YES! I met Mike at the Chicago show before and we gushed over Loewe pipes for a while. His site was by FAR the best info on them, some of which was better than the gathered material in the Loewe Packet.
The only thing I really dig that are more rare are the Leed’s Ben Wades. I have ONE. Always looking for more.
Mike was the guy, 12 years ago, on the SmokersForums.Uk who shared with me that he had a list of brands/shapes he was seeking. That led me to develop my own "Holy Grail" list. I always wondered what happened to him.

Reactions: jpmcwjr