PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
So I've been catching up on the PMRS episodes over the last week and I gotta say, I like it! I've hung out with Brian a few times and his knowledge of all things pipes is amazing (though his sense of humor is occasionally a bit corny). All of which (including the occasionally corny sense of humor) is captured in these episodes.
I like the format; every episode is broken up into shorter segments so it rarely seems to drag.
The audio production ranges from first rate to downright DREADFUL. The interviews, especially, are sometimes nearly inaudible (especially if you're listening in a moving car). I'm hoping, however, that this will improve.
Speaking of the interviews... sorry Brian, but this is the biggest "opportunity for improvement". You spent the majority of the interview with Mary Freakin' McNeil talking about the ARTWORK OF THE LABELS??!!! An entire conversation with Michael Parks without asking him who is influences were? Who are some contemporaries whom he admires? And practically NO time was spent asking Jimmy Craig about his relationship with Bill Taylor (both as an "employee" and as an "heir apparent"). Despite my disappointment, I'm confident that these interviews will improve over time.
Personally I like the trivia questions. Not sure I remember what the most recent one is; perhaps you could repeat it here in the forum after the show?
The rants are sometimes thoughtful (I, too, loathe the words "baccy" and "toby"), other times forced (the toilet paper rant seemed to be done merely to fill time, but I could be wrong).
My commute every morning is almost exactly 45 minutes, so this show fits me PERFECTLY in both length and content. Keep up the good work, work on some of the areas in need of improvement, and above all keep doing what you love to do.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I haven't listened to all of the shows, but these seem like good suggestions. Learning the art of the interview and coming up with good questions beforehand is tough I am sure.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Nice review BigVan. I agree with all points you made. I listen on my way to work on friday. I usually get to the music/rant section when i get to work and catch the rest on the way home. I tried listening live but found it very hard to stay focused on a screen. I always find myself doing other things and forget about the show in the background. With that said....
baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Agree, love the radio show but the interviews could be greatly improved with a bit of "investigative journalism" :)

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I agree as well with the interviews needing a bit of improving... but my biggest complaint is the cheezy sound bites... nothing breaks up the rhythm of the show than silly sound bites to get a point across.
baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby baccy toby
:rofl:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Hey, Brian mentioned this very thread on the show this week! Cool!
Except that he didn't seem all that pleased with my observations.
Hmm... seems to be a lot of that going around.

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
I would love to hear some more random facts about pipe smoking topics. Kindof like the trivia but you dont have to wait for the next episode. I know they have a small section for facts but more smoking related ones would be nice. Just a suggestion. but I really really enjoy the show and I'm always excited for Thursday to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.