PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
I have never been able to get on with filters. Always found it hindered the draw. Know supposed to be safer/cleaner (less tar/gunk etc). But just a no for Me

Just interested in Your views, thoughts & stories relating to filters.

Cheers all

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pappy Coon

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Same. A moderate to open draw is a requirement for me, and all filters I've tried restrict air flow too much. Every time I try one, it feels like trying to drink a thick milkshake through a straw. Stop and remove the filter, and the issues are resolved.

Reactions: Durhamshire

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have never seen the point, you draw through a stem, you draw through a filter, why do filters and ruin the flavour of the tobacco ? no point, if they made filters law I would give up.

Reactions: Durhamshire
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
People loved pipes before filters, tell me ? do they save you from cancer ? do they improve the flavour ? what the hell do they do ?
The balsa filters are excellent at wicking moisture from the airway. I don’t carry, use or have any use for pipe cleaners when I use a balsa filter. I don’t even take a pipe cleaner out until I’m done and cleaning the pipe even if I smoked back to back bowls.

I always need one handy if I don’t use a filter due mostly to moisture that originated from my mouth and eventually will cause a need to swab the stem during a smoke.

A far lower benefit is it can alleviate tongue bit from certain blends. There is a blend or two that I like to smoke that doesn’t agree with me I expect due to the casing. I use a charcoal filter in those situations and can then usually enjoy said blend without bite, though with muted flavor.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Yes, this subject has been beaten to death. But for how long now have there been old ads claiming that the particular tobacco or pipe will give you a cool smoke free of tongue bite? How many different kinds of condensers and stingers and pipe filters have been put into pipes specifically engineered for them? What about the Peterson Dry System or the reverse calabash? The evidence suggests to me that there was always a percentage of pipe smokers who suffered from tongue bite and that’s why so much effort was put into the development and marketing of these products.

Most of my pipes are 9mm filter pipes. There are a few 6mm Savinelli and Vauen Dr. Perls in with that. I have about six unfiltered pipes I won’t let go.

I have to say that I was firmly a no filter guy because I didn’t know what they were. I gave them an honest chance after watching the Bremen Pipe Smoker on YouTube and smoked only 9mm activated charcoal filters for a month back in 2022. After that I then went back to non-filtered and the difference was amazing to me.

The flavours are more delicate and the rough edges are taken away. What the Bremen Pipe Smoker said in his interview with the Virtual Pipe Club was that his 9mm meerschaum pipes give him the “pure flavour of the tobacco”.

Yes, if you only smoke one bowl or a few puffs of a filter pipe, then it will seem like there is no flavour to be had. I believe if you give the time for your tastebuds and pallet to adjust to the flavours then it would be a totally different experience.

I have been able to only smoke two bowls of tobacco in the past week due to the arrival of my first baby girl. I smoked an unfiltered pipe for now since I get to so rarely.

Once I have more time, I will continue to smoke 9mm filtered pipes and enjoy it immensely. I will also continue to enjoy non filtered pipes lit with a hemp wick because I find it helps keep the smoke cooler.

Although I haven’t been here on these forums for very long, I’ve been reading them for a few years now. I am glad for all the people out there who don’t use filters because they never needed them.

Matches860 said, “Don’t ever let anyone tell you you are not a real pipe smoker because you use filters.”

CaneRodPiper on YouTube also said on one of his videos that we are not representative of the majority of pipe smokers in the world because the number one selling pipe tobacco is Captain Black.

In closing, it would be helpful to look at countries like Germany where Vauen sells about fifty thousand pipes a year, about 9/10 pipe smokers use 9mm filters and there are a lot of younger pipe smokers. Let’s all just be nice to one another and continue to enjoy this great hobby.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Since I started using meer chips or Nording Keystones my smokes have been mostly dry.
I have never tried filters, so can’t comment on their benefits or not

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Sorry, but am new and trying to contribute. Please don't criticise if a new person is trying to show interest.
Your questions are welcome here. That having been said, it's a good idea to use the search function to look for threads where the question you have may have already been answered.
Despite all of the grumpy old man grumbling you will encounter here, most of it is good-natured, so I wouldn't take it too harshly. A thick skin will serve you well on this forum.

seabee1999

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
I’ve got some pipes with and without filters. I use them interchangeably. Don’t mind the smoke with a filter in or not. However, of late, I’ve been really enjoying my smokes without a filter. If I don’t want to constantly run a pipe cleaner through during a smoke I’ll reach for a filtered one then.

Status
Not open for further replies.