PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Smoking this blend for a few days now and haven't seen anyone post about it so here we go.

Upon opening the tin and peeling back the paper you're greeted with two rows of neatly stacked light/medium brown flakes. The aroma is light, I had to really get my nose in there to pick up the flavors, corriander, lemon peel, brown sugar and a faint hay/barnyard note way in the background. The flakes are sliced thin in the Danish/European style instead of what you see from C&D or Sutliff. Moisture content was good right out the tin, I saw no need to do any dry time but that's something you can decide on for yourself. The tobacco was easy to handle and I was able to fold and stuff a whole flake into my fairly small newer make "Barling" Marleybone bent Billiard.

It takes the flame easily enough with no dry time and you're greeted with a sweet, lightly sour and dry smoke. None of the tin note really translates to the smoke. As you progress down the bowl the sweetness sticks around but a more doughy, bready flavor comes through and plays with the sweetness as you keep smoking it down. Keep in mind the flavor is on the mild side and light sipping was required to pick these notes out. I picked up the pace and was met with what I can only describe as an "ultralight cigarette" flavor, so keep it slow. The sweetness and bready notes continue past the halfway mark. Towards the end of the bowl I was getting some brown sugar and a deeper sweetness. Since the flake was so light in color I was expecting more citrus and hay notes but they aren't really present. Burned easily with only a couple of relights right out of the tin so I was impressed with that. Nicotine hit is on the mild to medium side and I thought the room note matched the aroma from the tin so I didn't mind it and I usually don't like VA room notes.

So who's this for? Well if your already deep in McClelland, SG, G&H, Wessex, C&D Virginias then this isn't going to do anything for you. Good for anyone looking for a decent all day VA flake or thats just getting into VA's. I'd say this is more in the realm of Sutliff VA Slices or Newminster 400, this is nothing mind blowing or life changing, all in all its an easy, mild all day smoke and at it's current price I'd say its worth it. I picked up two tins of it but I think I like VA Slices and Newminster more, 3 out of 5 stars. Thanks for reading!
IMG_1620.jpgIMG_1621.jpg

Last edited: