Emptying bowl if not finished...while hot or cooled?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the dottle is good but for moisture, two things: Dry your tobacco more before the next filling, AND smoke it down as low as you comfortably can. The heat in the heel dries more than a long rest in most cases.

It's a bit of Catch 22: You can't smoke it down because it's too wet, and it's too wet because the heel was holding a lot of moisture.

Reactions: nathaniel

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
As others have said, you can always come back to it and finish it later. Even the next day, it should be fine. If I finish a bowl, I just dump the ash right away. The only thing you'd need to be concerned about is removing the bit while the pipe is still hot, which is generally inadvisable.

Magtour

Lurker
Nov 16, 2023
Okieville
I dump as soon as I’m done and shove a pipe cleaner down its throat. It’ll sit until it’s cooled and I’ll finish cleaning it, unless I don’t.

Reactions: Esrafel

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If you know your done dump it when its still warm. It comes out easier and is easier to wipe the bowl while warm. As said, if its a decent amount you can smoke it later and then clean when warm. I like to take care of cleaning pretty soon as pipes can start piling up.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
If I am in my truck on the interstate, I do not tap a hot bowl on my truck window, or else I get holes in my shirt as it blows back in. Lesson learned. Now, I only tap cool bowls of ash on the window, so when it blows back in, I merely get cool ashes in my eyes and blinds me momentarily on the interstate. puffy
Driving is boring. I'm only fully engaged when steering with a knee and partially blinded from ash

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
Steering by knee is one of the lesser evils of smoking while driving. But heh! if it's time to smoke, traffic safety be damned! The big daddy of such modifications is, I think, taking your eyes off the road, which I combat by rapidly looking at the pipe with watching the guy in front me.

So, while you're still kickin', jot down why that's so! lol

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Steering by knee is one of the lesser evils of smoking while driving. But heh! if it's time to smoke, traffic safety be damned! The big daddy of such modifications is, I think, taking your eyes off the road, which I combat by rapidly looking at the pipe with watching the guy in front me.

So, while you're still kickin', jot down why that's so! lol
I envy guys with wondering eyes. One on the pipe, other on the traffic.

Reactions: jpmcwjr