PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I had posted a thread a couple of days ago in regards to what type of pipes I should be looking into as a noob pipe smoker. A few members responded by saying that I should try to do a bit of research and perhaps look into Ebay for a pipe at lower prices. With that being said, I have indeed been looking at pipes on Ebay lately, and I ran across a Dr Grabow Regal unsmoked (non filtered) that came from a pipe shop that closed in the 50s. The seller states that it hasn't been smoked before, but he listed it as used because it has been away in a box for the past 60 years or so. It's only around 13$, so I figured it might be worth bidding on - but I can't seem to find any reviews about Dr Grabow Regals. I wanted to include a pic and see what the rest of you thought! Any help is appreciated! Thanks! Here it is:
showimage.aspx

Edit: The image code needs to be a ".jpg" for the best results. The URL you used won't open. I'm not familiar with "auctiva.com". If you were trying to copy an image address from eBay, that won't work either. You just have to copy/paste the URL from the eBay page into the Reply Box. Hope that helps... couldn't fix the pic. L.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I can't see your pic. But as far as a Grabow goes, you really can't go wrong for the price!

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Yea I'm not sure why it didn't allow me to link it correctly - if you right click on the little picture thing, you might be able to open it up in another tab. The only reason i created a separate thread for it was because the bidding ends within the next half hour, lol.
showimage.aspx

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I think I'll be throwing in a bid here pretty soon - I just wanted to see what the rest of you thought...and maybe see if any of you would be able to identify or recognize the pictures of it I tried to link

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Well, took the risk and bid on & won it. Will check back in later this week after it arrives! $13 on my first pipe..:)

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I'd pull the trigger on a decent $13 Grabow any day, especially an unsmoked one. The few Grabows I've smoked have been good really what's $13 for a decent smoker? I have a Grand Duke and I like it a lot. Good job!

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
haha, appreciate the support you all provided over the last couple of days. I can feel myself getting sucked in already, as I just put in another bid on a Peterson Estate pipe as well (only $12, I won't allow myself to get too carried away at first). Only time will tell how things turn out, lol

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I have a number of pipes and several of them are pretty good. I also have a Dr. Grabow "coupon" pipe that was a giveaway from DG back in the 60's when you mailed in a couple of Over The Counter (OTC) tobacco box proof of purchase tabs.
That freebie pipe carries it's own water when stacked up against my higher priced burners.
You made a good buy, hoss.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
are any of you familiar with Del Nobile Medico Pipes? Found one on ebay unsmoked and didn't know if it was worth a bid..

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bookn, in the Grabow line up the Regal could be considered "mid range". Available in a wide variety of shapes,smooth and rusticated. It uses a removable stinger.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for the info everyone! And ejames - yea I haven't really been able to find much info - it should be here today or tomorrow though. Wasn't aware that it came with a stinger, but then again I'm not familiar with whether or not that's a good thing lol. Should be interesting to see how it works out :)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Try it with and without the stinger. A lot of guys remove them,say it gives a better draw. But I've never found them to restrict draw much at all. If you take it out,don't pitch in case you decide to sell or trade the pipe.

Aug 14, 2012
When you buy on Ebay use Paypal. They will refund your money if you don't get it. Also check the seller's ratings. More than 1 or 2 complaints beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.