PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
You forget to label a jar of tobacco and years later find it lurking in your cellar, only to discover that it’s really quite tasty, aged well, and … you have absolutely no friggin’ idea what it is. 🤦‍♂️

Pretty sure it was put there around 2015 based on what it was surrounded by, and I have pretty solid thoughts about what it isn’t, but … ugh.

Virginia Flake and it smokes great. Guess it will remain a mystery but I’m leaning towards Germains, McConnell or possibly Wessex but it seems unlikely that I will know for certain.

I would say that I learned my lesson but I know of several other jars that are lacking labels and I’m just waiting for enlightenment to suddenly happen so that puts paid to that idea. 🙄

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I had a blend I made about a pound of in 4 large jars once. I wrote down the recipe, and the promptly lost it. It was an aromatic and I never smoked it, so I sent a bunch to a friend. Well he ranted and raved about it and wanted the recipe. "DOH"

I also have another different jar that I have no idea what's in it.

And most days I prep tobacco, and forget about it for too long. I smoke it any ways because I don't own any tobacco I don't like.

Lots of mysteries in the pipe world!

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I recently found a jar with 6oz or so of Charring Cross (I'm pretty sure) that I put there maybe around 2014 from an 8oz bag. Smoked this missing bit around the same time.

Found another jar labeled HOW 2005 which was a cube cut burley blend that I vaguely remember smoking at some point. Not sure how long that one has been there but it is now a really dark color.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Used to be I would smoke everyday from one of ten or so jars I rotate. Back then, I knew what they were. It's been awhile and I can't remember most of them. But they sure smell good. I do know I have extra tins of those in the jars. Maybe memory will kick in when right tin is opened.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
My tins don't last long enough to jar and my jars are all labeled as they are filled.

Usually when I jar something from a tin it’s because I’m just not feeling like smoking it and don’t want to let it get crunchy. Sometimes it’s just not appealing or I get sidetracked by something else.

For the past several years it hasn’t been an issue but back in 2015 I was scrambling to figure out what to cellar and I suspect that’s how it happened. I recall opening a lot of tins and deciding whether it was a good candidate to cellar or not then setting it aside.

That or - squirrel! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: kcghost