Does the Quality of a Pipe Increase with its Price?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So, basically buying an expensive pipe does nothing other than improve one’s image? A Rolex and a Casio both tell the time. In fact the Casio will probably do more than the Rolex but it doesn’t have the same panache or style or indeed, branding.

The Dunhill probably has more handwork and craftsmanship and might be made of slightly better materials but at the end of the day does it smoke better than a less expensive pipe or does it just deliver tobacco smoke in the same way?

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with enjoying luxury items by the way. If one can afford them, why not? I can actually see why owning and smoking a Dunhill would be a joy BUT the question was “Does the quality of a pipe increase with the price?” It’s Just my opinion, but I think after a certain price point it’s possibly one of diminishing returns. Is a £1500 Dunhill a ”better” pipe than a £500 one?
Taste isn't just physical it's also psychological. If you put the same dish on a fancy plate or a paper plate, if you present certain foods well versus splashing a spoonful on the plate, or if you eat the same thing in an dingy alleyway versus a nice dining room they will taste different. So yeah smoking in a fancier pipe that makes one feel a certain way can effect the taste and how one smokes the pipe.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
When Jay Moulten (sp?) had some videos on youtube, he talked about the pipe he was smoking in most of his videos. It was the first pipe he made. He made every mistake in the book and felt he couldn't sell it in good conscience. He kept it for a smoker, and it turns out that just because nothing was right by his standards, it was a great smoker. Also by his standards, it shouldn't have been worth a crap to smoke.

I used to buy very large pipes and unique pipes. Most of them were north of $400. This was a few decades ago too. As someone else said, a substantial factor was psychological. The price. The grade line. The uniqueness. Many of them being entirely handmade. I didn't keep a single one of them when I sold off my collection and quit smoking for a long while. I did keep pipes, but none of those. I miss two of them, but neither because they were phenomenal smokers.

My favorite brand have proved to be consistently the best smokers, and for that primary reason, that's why they've become the favorite. I do like many other things about the brand and pipes, but the smoke quality is #1. Until recently, they remained an incredible value (no thanks to a few ebay sellers who are working their ugly push to make them triple and quadruple in price...their pricing has absolutely no precedent to back it, yet people are slowly buying the pipes anyway). I cannot get behind the idea that "all pipes smoke good" or "it's driver error." Right now, I have pipes I can't get to smoke for beans. No matter how I pack them or what kind of tobacco, they're blah. Sure, they smoke, but that's about it. While others perform no matter what is in them or how I pack them. I don't think I'm a really picky smoker either. A lot of pipes perform in that 5-8 range out of 10, but very few rise to the 9/10 and 10/10. And I don't think price has much to do with it at all. Like much consumerism, it's psychological warfare with ourselves.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Dunhill probably has more handwork and craftsmanship and might be made of slightly better materials but at the end of the day does it smoke better than a less expensive pipe or does it just deliver tobacco smoke in the same way?
Just as factory made as Savinelli but with more marketing clout. You're just paying for the name.

sandblast.jpg

a lot of pipes that are 500 are made by hand by one person. Not always. But compared to a factory that can put out a very high number of pipes in a day, one person might take a longer then that making one pipe. But the big advantage is that they can take that time and work to show off the grain or remove imperfections such as pits. Where a factory pipe is made more by template and graded after the carving by how the grain and imperfections turn out. Then even with factories a lot of times the price is increased by some brands because of their quality control process. They have less pipes that leave the factory doors which means that as far as whatever their specific standard is you have a much better chance of getting a pipe with less flaws more of a flowing or striking grain pattern. The Q.C. can apply to the internals of a pipe too, however most companies seem to keep that standard to a modicum over the whole price spectrum.
The thing to remember with a pipe is it's a tool, a fashion accessory (it effects your looks and style while smoking [even if you don't care that it does]), and a display carving when it's sitting on a shelf. You are paying for all three of those factors as well as how the pipe got there.
Like a lot of products is it worth it? Is the price justified? Depends on if the maker needs to eat and also how much value do you place on certain things. Including exclusivity how likely are you to run into another person smoking a pipe like that at a convention?
When something is hand made by craftsmen/women I can fully appreciate the value. But nowadays a lot of processes in manufacturing of high end products are mechanised and the companies cut costs but still charge premium prices, relying purely on the brand name. It’s here that I start to question value in such products.

Yes, pipes are a tool but I draw the line at ”fashion accessory”. Like watches, we have the impression that other people take note or know what we’re wearing/smoking. The fact is 99% of people do not care or know. Only another watch fan or pipe smoker will perhaps appreciate it, so don’t think you’re king of the hill because you smoke an expensive pipe as it won’t register on anyone else’s radar. As a display carving though for oneself, that’s where I agree the value is. At the end of the day it’s purely subjective, if you own an expensive pipe and doing so gives you pleasure then that’s all that matters. If you see value in something it doesn’t matter what someone else thinks.

Reactions: Papamique

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I read this in a magazine once, A well-made, brand-name pipe can cost as little as $35 and can also give you a fantastic smoking experience, but will usually average out to about $65 to $130 for a decent piece of machine-turned briar. Of course, as you get into the better grades and finishes of wood, hand-turned or carved designs, and gold or silver mountings, you can easily max out on your credit-card limit.

How much effort does it take to build and maintain a reputation of excellence over the course of 10 years? How about 50 years? 100? I think some underestimate the time, effort, and money that hoes into a companies reputation in today’s grab and throw world. We complain about shoddy work, poor customer service and the like and then tend to belittle a good reputation of a company that has been around for decades as hype. Not so! At least, not always. To me, a good reputation is hard to acquire and even harder to keep. So I pay for it when I find it whether it’s a reputable plumber, carpenter or pipe maker.

A completely hand made pipe takes hours to make. Hours of skilled labor. What is that worth? What do we pay other skilled laborers with a good reputation?

So a hand made pipe, from quality materials, from a reputable carver will cost you more money. They also tend to taste like well cured briar from the start, can be more comfortable, look beautiful and last longer, partly due to the extra care given them by the owners that paid more for them and partly the quality materials.

This will all generally cost you more money. Are these things worth the extra money to you?

Again, you can get a well made factory turned briar pipe that can give you a great smoking experience for much much less money. Even a cob which are cheap and smoke/taste amazing.
These are all excellent points. I completely agree.

Here is an excerpt from the article, "Joe Lankford Passes, Blender of Seattle Pipe Club Tobaccos" written by Chuck Stanion on September 8, 2022:
"Each pipe had a story and Joe told those stories as he showed his pipes. After a while Matt asked what pipes like these could cost and was stunned by the information that they were all valued over $1,000. "I just thought, this is incredible. Certainly more than $5. And what struck me was how each one of the pipes was well smoked, both a work of art and a smoking tool, and it had to be both for him in order for it to qualify. He smoked the hell out of any pipe that he owned. Joe told me that if a pipe doesn't smoke right, he's going to smoke it until it does. I used to say that Joe would smoke a pipe into submission." "

My friend who collects artisan pipes exclusively told me that just because it is an artisan pipe does not guarantee it will be a good smoker.

Joe Lankford sure seems to have thought the same way.

I think the only pipes I own you could call artisan and completely handmade are my meerschaums. All my briars are factory made except a "Hand Made" stamped 9mm Savinelli Canadian freehand.

Vauen has been making pipes since 1848. That is mainly what I collect and they are all fantastic smokers. While I like my newer Vauens, many of the modern ones are larger and heavier (50 grams and above). I found a lot of old unsmoked or lightly smoked estate Vauens on eBay for great deals. Some might even be more than 100 years old because they predate the invention of the 9mm filter. These older ones have been my favourite because they are much smaller, lighter weight and very comfortable with vulcanite stems.

I will end with this. One of my favourite pipes I bought in unsmoked condition on eBay for $50. It is a Vauen Dr. Perl 4284 M black sandblast straight billiard with an off center draft hole and a replacement tapered fishtail acrylic stem from a Vauen Verde that had the button buffed down so much it made it the most comfortable clenching pipe I have.

Reactions: Papamique

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When something is hand made by craftsmen/women I can fully appreciate the value. But nowadays a lot of processes in manufacturing of high end products are mechanised and the companies cut costs but still charge premium prices, relying purely on the brand name. It’s here that I start to question value in such products.
Yeah so many companies skate on the reputation that the company built back in the day. I am sure we could spend all day listing ones that have. From local companies to big huge corporations.
Yes, pipes are a tool but I draw the line at ”fashion accessory”. Like watches, we have the impression that other people take note or know what we’re wearing/smoking. The fact is 99% of people do not care or know.
No matter what your opinion is there are people who care very much about that when buying something. Heck most of the time when I buy pants I just want to keep myself decent and comfortable but it still effects how I look.
Further more even if it's very subconscious you and everyone notices in one way or another those kinds of things. If someone is smoking a pipe that looks ridiculous you're going to see them as being more ridiculous then you would if they didn't have the pipe.
Or long story short it's a factor and real one even if you care about it or not. And it's a factor that can be priced at a premium. And one of the facts about high fashion (clothes or pipes), it's not about broad appeal but specific appeal. Example I don't care what the guys think of how I dress but I do care what some ladies think....
Only another watch fan or pipe smoker will perhaps appreciate it,
Often the point of fashion in general is "speaking" to specific groups or people.
so don’t think you’re king of the hill because you smoke an expensive pipe as it won’t register on anyone else’s radar. As a display carving though for oneself, that’s where I agree the value is.
Oh totally.
At the end of the day it’s purely subjective, if you own an expensive pipe and doing so gives you pleasure then that’s all that matters. If you see value in something it doesn’t matter what someone else thinks.
Or as sometimes is said... It cost that much because they think someone wants it enough to pay that price.

Reactions: steelarts

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
To make a pipe, any pipe, requires raw materials, and labor, and overhead, and markup (profit).

The seller of those two pipes paid more for the Legend 5th Avenue than the Legend Rob Roy.

The reason is it cost a little more to make a 5th Avenue than a Rob Roy.

The cobs used may be slightly bigger, or it might take another manufacturing step, or there’s more wastage.

And for more money you get a Washington.

Smoking quality is the same.

Satisfaction and pride of ownership is the difference.

By the way, if you don’t have a cob pipe and want one, this one is what I recommend.

There is a dramatic upgrade in quality in a Country Gentleman in size, a dowel in the bottom, and finish.

These factors are the same, for briars.

Except you multiply by ten, the prices.:)

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
So, basically buying an expensive pipe does nothing other than improve one’s image? A Rolex and a Casio both tell the time. In fact the Casio will probably do more than the Rolex but it doesn’t have the same panache or style or indeed, branding.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with enjoying luxury items by the way. If one can afford them, why not? I can actually see why owning and smoking a Dunhill would be a joy BUT the question was “Does the quality of a pipe increase with the price?” It’s Just my opinion, but I think after a certain price point it’s possibly one of diminishing returns. Is a £1500 Dunhill a ”better” pipe than a £500 one?
There is a specific level of fit and finish that can typically be attained more at the artisan or high end factory level compared to a cheaper mass produced factory line. That doesn’t mean a specific artisan or high end factory line will attain your specific fit and finish desires, and it doesn’t mean a $15 cob doesn’t fit your fit and finish demands (or smoke-ability demands either).

However, the ability to find something specific exists in the pricier end because the pipes are made more individually and that costs time which usually also costs more money if you aren’t getting a favor. If you want “x year, x model, x super special limited run line” then the barrier to entry is the asking price. If you don’t want to pay the going price, then you don’t really desire entry to owning that specific pipe. And that’s fine too.

There is no cost to functional improvement ratio guarantee.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
When Jay Moulten (sp?) had some videos on youtube, he talked about the pipe he was smoking in most of his videos. It was the first pipe he made. He made every mistake in the book and felt he couldn't sell it in good conscience. He kept it for a smoker, and it turns out that just because nothing was right by his standards, it was a great smoker. Also by his standards, it shouldn't have been worth a crap to smoke.

I used to buy very large pipes and unique pipes. Most of them were north of $400. This was a few decades ago too. As someone else said, a substantial factor was psychological. The price. The grade line. The uniqueness. Many of them being entirely handmade. I didn't keep a single one of them when I sold off my collection and quit smoking for a long while. I did keep pipes, but none of those. I miss two of them, but neither because they were phenomenal smokers.

My favorite brand have proved to be consistently the best smokers, and for that primary reason, that's why they've become the favorite. I do like many other things about the brand and pipes, but the smoke quality is #1. Until recently, they remained an incredible value (no thanks to a few ebay sellers who are working their ugly push to make them triple and quadruple in price...their pricing has absolutely no precedent to back it, yet people are slowly buying the pipes anyway). I cannot get behind the idea that "all pipes smoke good" or "it's driver error." Right now, I have pipes I can't get to smoke for beans. No matter how I pack them or what kind of tobacco, they're blah. Sure, they smoke, but that's about it. While others perform no matter what is in them or how I pack them. I don't think I'm a really picky smoker either. A lot of pipes perform in that 5-8 range out of 10, but very few rise to the 9/10 and 10/10. And I don't think price has much to do with it at all. Like much consumerism, it's psychological warfare with ourselves.
Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful write up. Do you have a link to the video? I’m also curious to see a comparison of your older pipes your newer ones if you have them.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful write up. Do you have a link to the video? I’m also curious to see a comparison of your older pipes your newer ones if you have them.
J. Mouton is the correct spelling, and it appears he's deleted his youtube channel. I cannot find the video I cited. There are some strange videos about his pipes on youtube. Maybe AI generated? Or maybe something happened in the youtuber pipe community that I didn't see? As much as I like pipe smoking, watching pipe smokers wax poetic about the hobby on youtube is like having gutter nails hammered through my skull. YUCK.

Sorry, but I do not have any photos of my pipes. I've meant to do it, but I just haven't gotten around to it. The old ones look like the new ones. I'm still buying from the same makers as I always have. The present day artisanal bug never bit me.

here is a link to an interview with him, but really, it's all unrelated to my post.

Reactions: AroEnglish