PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brelh

Lurker
Feb 14, 2023
Dear All!
I have ordered and received my Peterson 306 Rusticated pipe, I was really happy about it and checked the pipe immediatelly (but I was not thorough enough), once I believed everyting is okay I gave it a try ( and it smoked reall really well ), after I finished with my bowl I have discovered some probable damage on the pipe during cleaning. Since I have already tried it, I cannot send it back for another one, do I have to worry about it or it will be fine? If not, what can I do?
See below the pictures of the damaged part:
IMG_3832.jpegIMG_3831.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 19
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear All!
I have ordered and received my Peterson 306 Rusticated pipe, I was really happy about it and checked the pipe immediatelly (but I was not thorough enough), once I believed everyting is okay I gave it a try ( and it smoked reall really well ), after I finished with my bowl I have discovered some probable damage on the pipe during cleaning. Since I have already tried it, I cannot send it back for another one, do I have to worry about it or it will be fine? If not, what can I do?
View attachment 280267View attachment 280268
I assume ,You don't have to worry, this is pretty commonplace with sandblasted and rusticated finishes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Dear All!
View attachment 280267View attachment 280268

That is the spot a harmless grain of sand occupied in the burl of briar and became exposed on final finish.

It only hurts your feelings.:)

Peterson has made pipes to that same, basic shape for well over a century and their highest priced ones have always been smooth, unvarnished, unfilled, unstained, perfect examples of specimen briar with spectacularly beautiful grain.

Such a perfectly beautiful pipe may only be one of thousands, and sell for many hundreds of dollars.

I think the darkly stained and rusticated large Peterson pipes are the best value in a new pipe today.

If you can live with a sand pit.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
A few years ago this sand pit would not make it out of the factory. Dark finish and heavy blast is a cover up. It may smoke well but you got ripped on the price.
Past generation would have filled it and sold it as a smooth. I’m glad that practice has really been diminished.

As long as that inclusion doesn’t make it to the bowl, I’d expect it to be fine.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
It’s character. I have a Sav that has a couple of those, I like them. Only if it extended to the inside of the bowl and created a weakness could it be a problem, took me a minute to even find it.

Reactions: kcghost and Brelh

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
no problem at all.

Unless the inclusion is a fragment of polonium (which is 5000 times more radioactive than radium), a fleck of azidoazide azide (the most powerful chemical explosive known), or a batch of tuberulosis bacteria waiting to be jostled and released into the air.

I cannot believe how cavalier, trusting, and optimistic this board is...

Hell... It could even be a nest of microscopic alien brain worms sent to enslave humanity.

You. Just. Never. Know.

ESPECIALLY when the product in question comes from Ireland. That's a feisty bunch, and they have a hella long memory...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A few years ago this sand pit would not make it out of the factory. Dark finish and heavy blast is a cover up. It may smoke well but you got ripped on the price.
I've read and reread this thread and see no mention of price whatsoever, unless new Pete retail is assumed.

OP: No worries whatsoever. A lovely pipe- so smoke it in rude good health, and enjoy!

Brelh

Lurker
Feb 14, 2023
Thank you, everyone, for all the comments. I have to give some credit and say it's a shame to all of us included in this trade that it was not spotted in time. However, since it's not affecting the smoke of the pipe nor the integrity of the bowl, I may be able to live with it. As was mentioned before, mine is unique! If it cannot leave my eyesight, I may visit a pipe repairer and ask if it can be filled in. Thanks again!

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Unless the inclusion is a fragment of polonium (which is 5000 times more radioactive than radium), a fleck of azidoazide azide (the most powerful chemical explosive known), or a batch of tuberulosis bacteria waiting to be jostled and released into the air.

I cannot believe how cavalier, trusting, and optimistic this board is...

Hell... It could even be a nest of microscopic alien brain worms sent to enslave humanity.

You. Just. Never. Know.

ESPECIALLY when the product in question comes from Ireland. That's a feisty bunch, and they have a hella long memory...
it's easy to be trusting when the pipe in question is safely far far away. Notice no one invited him to one of our meetings.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
As you have no idea what the buyer paid how can you say that.Rusicated are the bottom of the line below sandblast and smooth and have always been open to inclusions