PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
The smoke shop by me is one of those places that just sells ciggs and bongs. They have a few cigars and only have otc blends. The only pipes they have are grabows and the really cheap ones that aren't briar. Well apparently business is good because they're building a new store. I didn't think much of this until I drove past and saw a big carving of a pipe in front of the new location. They aren't finished yet, but lets keep our fingers crossed that they will have pipe tobacco and pipes

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Fingers crossed here as well uber.
Hey, hit em' up now about a job before the new store is completed.

If they were to expand there tobacco stock, blends and pipes, could possibly be more fun than Mickey d's?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Uber, I'm with OTD on this big time.
Walk up there, ask if the owner is there. If not, ask for the foreman and ask if he's willing to share the owners phone number with you. If you can't get either today, keep walking by and checking it out. See if you can discern the guy who will own the place. Hint: he's usually not wearing a hard hat ;-)
Make him an offer for instance to work for him at the same darn minimum wage you get at Mc.D. Offer him that you'd start part-time or the same number of hours you get at McD.
If things come to worse, offer even to be there for free if that helps. It's better than hanging out in your dad's lounge and you know something about smoking pipes, tobacco, etc.. Offer to work just for scraps, trials and some baccy. Get your foot in the door if it is indeed a B&M. No matter what, getting your foot in the door and proving you know what you're doing and working like mad pays off big-time in the long run.
Good luck my friend..

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
the same number of hours you get at McD

I wouldn't want to say that. I get very few hours. Now saying part time would be fine
I cant get there today, I don't know when I can get there. Its not in my town, its in the next town 8 miles over. Which is a slight problem since I don't have a car. My mom works in the same town, but we wouldn't have the same hours. I'm sure I could figure something out. Next time I go there I'll have to ask. I don't know if it is a B&M yet, but I hope so. My dad goes there every Monday to get a pack or two of black & milds. He talks to the owner all the time.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Bus ? Or any other form of public transport ?

Bike ? Scooter ? My school was 6 miles, took me maybe 30 minutes.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Bus ? Or any other form of public transport ?

Don't have that
Bike ? Scooter ?

That could work except that other then the expressway the highway is the only way and people drive down M-21 like maniacs. It wouldn't be too bad when its light out, but if I ever had to go home in the dark it wouldn't be very safe

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you can get it figured out, It may be a golden opportunity. I have a buddy who got a job at a local gun and pawn place with a mediocre used musical instrument section. He radically transformed it, giving personal attention to musicians and stocking new instruments not available in other stores. He put that store on the map and quickly became an assistant manager. His store grabbed enough local market share that another store that had OK instruments and not-so-OK customer service had to relocate!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
yup, nice to have a B$M so close, even better if ur working there! You smoke a pipe, u got some knowledge to offer. Ur resume states, educated by all the fine folks at PipesMagazine.com !!!!!!!

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
if you won't, can I talk to him? I'll go work in a B&M. :) That would be a great place to get on. Give you a great opportunity to sample various blends and possibly try your hand at blending yourself. Make a blend for the store that no one else has.
I was trying to talk my wife's boss into opening a B&M here in my area but no go. And since we are moving back to Utah, I quit trying. I'll have to find someone there to open one up and put me to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.