PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
Bought '23 Cringle Flake at a B & M (Not local to Massachusetts). Serious mold, I had to bin it. Anybody else have this problem? Not complaining, only the second problem in 50 years. I don't want to get any more though if there is a problem.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bought '23 Cringle Flake at a B & M (Not local to Massachusetts). Serious mold, I had to bin it. Anybody else have this problem? Not complaining, only the second problem in 50 years. I don't want to get any more though if there is a problem.
Sorry to hear that. I haven't bought any of the '23, but all previous editions have been solid and great smokes

Reactions: jbfrady and jguss

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Are you sure it was mold? Sutliff has had issues with their packing liners deteriorating inside the tins (according to them). Here’s one example, but I have seen the discussion elsewhere as well regarding Sutliff packaging:

I’m going with this. There were a bunch of people who complained about this. Hope the garbage man didn’t come yet, as I think Sutliff will send you a new one.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Previous editions were fine. This year’s was just awful and I threw out most of the tin. Mold may have improved it.
I passed on the 2023, love the 2019, the 2020 thru 2022 were good with the perique but adding stoved Katerini just threw it off to me, still in stock everywhere, still might buy a single tin to try but not going deep as i did with the other years.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
It smelled pretty nasty. white stuff all over it. Maybe the smell was Katerini, not mold, but either way I did the right thing.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I got several tins. ( I do every year) And loved the '23. Very slow burn, no bite...and no mold on the one I opened. A great outdoor smoke... maybe because of the slow burn, and perhaps due to the rich flavor that I enjoyed even with a new england wind blowing.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The ‘23 isn’t my favorite Cringle incarnation but it’s decent enough IMO. Definitely the driest (moisture) of the Cringles.

Reactions: Choatecav