PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I got a few tins and it’s not really my jam. It’s clearly a high quality blend there’s just something about those red virginias that don’t vibe with my mouth chemistry. Oh well I’m glad I tried it so next year I can pass on it and not feel like I’m missing out on anything.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Yes, only thing is that this would be where we get into deception. You see, these blends were touted as being very limited in supply. I’m all for making a blend like this readily available but I would appreciate if a company came out and said, “we’re making a lot of it this year as we have quite the stockpile of mark Ryans 20yo perique/20yo reds and want everyone to be able to readily get it through the holidays into next year. I would respect that and want to buy more from a company that does that. As opposed to “this is a very limited supply of these component tobaccos” and then release like 20,000 tins to the public.

20,000 tins is a limited supply. Once it is gone, it is gone. That's still technically a limited release.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
@LeafErikson @The Algerian I’m wondering if it’s the cavendish process done the to reds. Do you have issues with Red Va’s in general?
I actually tried it again and after breaking the flake up more than before I had an enjoyable smoke. Those are some thick pieces of flake. I generally don’t have a big problem with red virginias in particular but burleys certainly are easier on my mouth overall. The only blend I can recall that seriously bit me on a chemical level was hh pure Virginia by mac baren. Itsbeen years since I last smoked that blend though and at the time I didn’t really smoke any virginias.

Reactions: Jwebb90

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Seems to me there may be economic recessional pressures at play here even if they made a larger batch. I enjoy this annual release and can't imagine some nefarious brainstorming that went on in the back office of Sutliff. Damned if you do.

If this is how they plan on abusing me every year, bring on the degradation.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Anyone having trouble keeping this stuff lit? I only smoked a couple of bowls after rubbing out and drying the first drying for 20 min the second for an hour ? Had to relight a lot and I don't like relighting. Any tricks? I don't own a microwave...
Rub it out to about a cross cut and gravity fill the pipe, gentle push on the top, fill once more to the top and you should be good with no dry time. I had the same problem as you but after really rubbing it out (about the same cut as sir Walter Raleigh) I enjoyed my smoke. I’ve been smoking it out of a small meerschaum pipe.

Reactions: seanv and vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I got a few tins and it’s not really my jam. It’s clearly a high quality blend there’s just something about those red virginias that don’t vibe with my mouth chemistry. Oh well I’m glad I tried it so next year I can pass on it and not feel like I’m missing out on anything.
Bought it to see what it was like but I agree with @Chasing Embers I like my reds unadulterated the other stuff gets in the way but hey gotta try em all ;)

BareFootPiper

Lurker
Dec 3, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello All. I reached out to Sutliff concerning the "white snowy particles" in some random tins of Cringle Flake 2022. They sent me a lovely email detailing that the tobacco was not compromised and perfectly safe to consume! The white particles are not mold, but remnants from the breakdown of the black paper insert as it came into contact with the tobacco. Sutliff is sourcing some different "paper hats" so as to resolve this paper breakdown issue. That said, the tobacco with the paper remnants is perfectly ok since the paper is food-grade and not harmful in any way - just brush it off and all is well. Sending everyone warm winter wishes :)

Last edited:

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
Hello All. I reached out to Sutliff concerning the "white snowy particles" in some random tins of Cringle Flake 2022. They sent me a lovely email detailing that the tobacco was not compromised and perfectly safe to consume! The white particles are not mold, but remnants from the breakdown of the black paper insert as it came into contact with the tobacco. Sutliff is sourcing some different "paper hats" so as to resolve this paper breakdown issue. That said, the tobacco with the paper remnants is perfectly ok since the paper is food-grade and not harmful in any way - just brush it off and all is well. Sending everyone warm winter wishes :)

Damnit! Woulda been nice to know before I threw out two tins worth.

Reactions: JSPiper71

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I predict that 6 or so months down the road people who didn’t have their minds blown when it was fresh will be popping open some 2022 tins and raving about the blend.

Even though the constituents are aged they still benefit from some time to marry in the tin. That’s been my experience with Cringle in previous years. Give it a little time, open the tin, re-close it and let it breathe for a day. It’ll open up like a wine.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I predict that 6 or so months down the road people who didn’t have their minds blown when it was fresh will be popping open some 2022 tins and raving about the blend.

Even though the constituents are aged they still benefit from some time to marry in the tin. That’s been my experience with Cringle in previous years. Give it a little time, open the tin, re-close it and let it breathe for a day. It’ll open up like a wine.
I'm loving the tin of the '21 I opened a few days ago, though I never tried it fresh so I can't speak to any differences. I imagine this year's version will also be good when I decide to smoke it.

Reactions: cohibajoe

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Besides the white particles on top of the tobacco from the top paper sticking to it, has anyone seen patterns of a white substance going down the sides of the flakes?

In the below photos I see the white particles Sutliff says is from the paper sticking (circled in red in the first photo), but I also see an organically shaped pattern of white going down the side of the flakes that existed before the flakes were cut (circled in blue in the second photo). My first instinct was to assume that is mold:

Attachments

• 790E504D-350D-4029-8293-3E426B31AD26.jpeg
    790E504D-350D-4029-8293-3E426B31AD26.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 29
  • FDE44AA4-4F58-4465-BF56-E0200730088E.jpeg
    FDE44AA4-4F58-4465-BF56-E0200730088E.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: dublinpiper90

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Besides the white particles on top of the tobacco from the top paper sticking to it, has anyone seen patterns of a white substance going down the sides of the flakes?

In the below photos I see the white particles Sutliff says is from the paper sticking (circled in red in the first photo), but I also see an organically shaped pattern of white going down the side of the flakes that existed before the flakes were cut (circled in blue in the second photo). My first instinct was to assume that is mold:
I haven’t seen that on the one tin I’ve cracked so far. Hopefully it’s not mold.

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina

I got some 22 that was well sealed and it had that on it…..not sure what it is but Ive just about finished a tin of it